roof modelling workflow

hi guys,

i still don't have the v2013, so i can't judge if this:

roof components wish

has already been implemented.

if not, i'd like to know how do you usually proceed with the pitched roof modelling? i know now that the inserting of the skylights with their holes in the roof object is possible and this still leaves the roof with its full functionality. but other questions remain:

1. do you set the framing members to the top or bottom of the roof volume? how about the walls fitting to the roof/framing members then?

2. do you model the extra roof faces for the roof components (for the sake of take offs), or do you insert the component thickness in the course of the 2d workout in the section views?

3. if you model the additional faces, do you do it on top, on the bottom or on both sides of the roof plane (e.g. for additional insulation in colder climates)?

4. if you model the additional faces, how do you cut out the holes in order to maintain the cutting direction: subtract solids, trying to fit the original holes in the main roof?

thankful in advance for any hint to think over.

rob

Edited by gester

1. Top.

For the hole framing, you may need to edit the rafters and headers to sister or double them for structural reasons.

Use AEC > Fit Walls To Object to be fit walls to roof.

2. Create report to list material, select items for report. That is a personal preference. Model everything in 3D or use roof tool (in this case) using standard menu, set to overall thickness, (rafter, sheathing, shingles, etc.) then use Detail tools for 2D design clarity in section/detail sheets.

This is an area users have been asking for real world components in roof and wall menus for design. Would also report using this material.

3. That is up to you. In colder climates for residential, usually add more insulation or change the type of insulation.

4. Use gray/snap others for alignment in plan view. May need to edit for vertical alignment.

I am sure others will add their knowledge.

Edited by taoist

thanks.

1. if top, then the walls will fit to the roof underside, not to the framing members. but ok, i must check this again. i know this aec command...

another thing would be the sheathing thickness and occasional ventilation layer that may need to come on top.

2. i still need the amount of insulation volume. if not modelled in 3d, i can't retrieve this data.

4. yes, it would be the case. a bit cumbersome, but it'd work.

rob

Yes, would to eliminate the bearing inset.

Again, the need for real world components.

Roof style menu would be great including Fascia options. Multiple piece Fascia, Crown, etc.. We should not have to model all of this.

Need to pay attention to Roof supply gable end walls.

It appears by default, it sets the gable end wall thickness to match the roof thickness.

When you edit the roof (not rafters),

there is a Roof Gable Thickness, this means the gable walls. There is also a check box for Create Gable End Walls.

This should be an option when creating roof and not (currently) after you have created it.

Depending on how you build, the gale walls are same stud thickness as walls or if you use a truss, the studs are on the flat.

Edited by taoist