Label Legend Elements Shift Out of Place

Occasionally (although far too frequently) a field or two in a Label Legend 'shifts' out of place; ie the 'Channel' field is drawn immediately adjacent to a lighting fixture, but is rendered inches - or feet - away in the lighting instruments. It is inconsistent, but once it appears in a file it tends to recur with that Label Legend indefinitely - my only solution has been to manually shift the 'Channel' handle back to an appropriate location for every single lighting instrument using that Legend.

Things that have already been tried:

- I *have* re-created these Legends from scratch in VW2013 SP3. Leaves me clueless.

- I have deleted all Label Legends from a document, and then re-drawn the Legends from scratch.

Other tips:

- It seems to happen with *some* Label Legends on *some* instrument types/symbols. Could it have anything to do with the way an embedded symbol is rotated within the instrument symbol (ie a 'Source Four UP' symbol referencing a 'Source Four BASE' symbol)?

- If I attempt to counter the shifting back in the Legend (ie if the Channel dropped down 3 inches when rendered, I would try to shift it up 3 inches), the resulting render is seemingly senseless; it may fling the rendered Channel a dozen feet away or even 'flip' it across the 0,0 point of the symbol in the Label Legend.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much for your help.

Vectorworks 2013, SP3.

Edited by Ozminkowski
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Labels are placed based on the bounding box (overall size of 2d and 3D shape) of the symbol used in the label legend.

What I have seen in the past is that the bounding box is larger than you expect after moving, rotating or modifying a symbol. Also I've seen symbols that have some stray geometry in the symbol that cause the bounding box to be larger than expected.

The symbol in the Label Legend must always be at 0 rotation and the top of the instrument must be pointed to the top of the screen.

In 3D the instrument must point to the floor even if you want to create an instrument that defaults to up/overhung.

Thank you very much for your help. I was wondering if you might have a moment to take a look at an example of the problem? In this instance, the Channel field is shifting out of place. The Label Legend did have a symbol that was rotated 90deg in the first sample, but there are no rotated symbols in the 2nd example (a new, different Label Legend) and I am experiencing the same problem.

Do you have any ideas? Thank you very much for your help.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The bounding box of the symbol is too large because of the 2D loci.

The geometry in the symbol must face the top of the page, rotating the symbol is not sufficient. (This includes the 3D portion.)

The extra loci are also not recommended.