Automatic Light Height

Idk if this has been covered but I couldn't find it

When i place a new lighting fixture on a lighting position I thought that the fixture is suppose to automatically be set to that height, so in 3D it is actually hanging on the pipe.

I might be wrong and this might not happen at all but i thought i have read that it does this b/c its a pain having to go to all my lights to set them at how high the beam it says they are on is at.

Any help?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sere you are snapping to your lighting position when placing the lighting devices. If you are not snapping or have your layers/classes set in a way that you can not snap to the lighting device will not pick up the position height.

Also make sure that your lighting position object is set the the correct height. I often see lighting positions set at 0 height.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As long as you are getting object snap cues you should be fine.

We recommend placing the lights and positions on the same layer but primarily for using other tools later.

If you have your positions or lights in different layers or classes you should have class/layer options set to show/snap others or show/snap/modify others.

I always recommend having the classes set to show/snap others or show/snap/modify others because often geometry used inside the lighting position or lighting device is not in the active class.