Flattening pdf files

Clive Abben

i have been having problems printing some of my files, especially 3d site models. the last file i exported as a pdf, and it came up as about 12MB, but when i took it to be printed the printer told me that when he opened it for printing it was 300MB and took about 1/2 hour to load! is there a setting i can use when exporting from Vectorworks or is it something i need to do in adobe?

Are you exporting as pdf or saving as pdf through the printer dialog? (Choose the other see if it helps)

- You can also try the option Rasterize text, this removes the font info from the pdf, this could also help if you are using strange fonts.

- Downsample higher resolutions 150dpi usually is sufficient for printing.

VWs is known to export large pdfs and dwgs, it has been pointed out to them several times, so far to no or little avail.

In this case, if you only have one or a couple of files I suggest you export (image) as jpeg and save as pdf in another program i.e. Distiller, Photoshop etc. (If you are using a printing shop they can probably handle jpegs too....)

Edited by Vincent C