Rotating hybrid lighting symbols in 3D

Hello all-

New to the forum - and please forgive if this has been covered.

I am having trouble understanding why I can't insert, for example, a VL3000 spot and then rotate it in 3D. I would think that VW which is SO powerful and can do so much would be able to handle that simple task.

A friend advised me to take every symbol I ever want to use and make 2 versions of it - 2D and 3D and then use those symbols only and essentially make 2 plots for every design. Seems really convoluted for a package whose fundamental purpose is to design lighting plots.

Am I missing something here? Maybe there's a magic bullet I just don't know about. Any and all help appreciated - and again apologies if this has been covered.

Paul

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Once you insert the lighting device you will see a check box "Set 3D Orientation" Once this is enabled 2 more parameters will be shown "X Rotation" and "Y Rotation". Theses 2 parameters along with the overall rotation of the lighting device will set the 3D rotation.

Normally Vectorworks will not you rotate a hybrid object so the lighting device needs to handle rotation in a special way using these controls.