dtm modifiers trouble

gester

hi,

i try to make a hole in my site model for my house. i've placed the modifiers (both the pad and the boundary) in the site-dtm-modifier class, but neither the existing nor the proposed 3d representation shows the cut-out volume. the cut'n fill displays only a boundary plane (the dark shape are the foundation walls).

the wireframe view seems to be ok, though.

what have i made wrong?

rob

update:

i've noticed there's a grayed out, already checked checkbox: 'fill' in the 3d representation settings. is this the cause for such a display?

Edited by gester
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

They are slight problems where the pad is being triangulated back to the nearest piece of source data.

I recommend you put in another pad - just 1mm offset from the original, and set it to the desired height for the top of the "pit".

Alternatively, instead of creating a pad (which will flatten the top level - maybe undesirable), create a 3D Polygon and send it to the surface. Then put this in the Site-DTM Modifiers class. This will force the triangulation to come from here instead of the nearest piece of source data.

Hope that makes sense.

it's beginning to make sense for me:

i can't grab the boundary in an axo view when it's not displayed in 3d even if it's sent to the front (btw, the pad doesn't have a '3d view' option, so it's the boundary settings manipulation) which enables the cut-out in 3d, and the sending back shows the slopes representation in 2d (a 2d pic with my original boundary).

anyway, the mere sending the boundary to the back didn't help with the triangles. the triangulation is really messing the whole thing up.

i played a bit with further modifiers, as you suggested. the triangulation is imo simply too rough (a 3d pic with another boundary).

but ok, i see the way to maybe make it work.

thanks for your time :)

rob

Edited by gester

what's the best way to fill the cut-out pad with new earth/gravel/etc. layers? do i have to model it by hand or is there an automatic function?

rob

update:

i've just read about the site model in the design series guide and watched the great tamsin's site modelling webinar for the next time, but i can't figure out how to create the fill volume in my site model.

in other words: i can't get the value in the 'fill volume' in the site model settings other than zero.

can anybody help?

thx

Edited by gester

I am glad you enjoyed the webinar by the way!

factually, it was one of the best i've ever seen.

Just looked again... in the case of this model, there is no fill, only cut. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding the problem.

that's why i wonder. i'd like to have the fill, too. how do i get it?

P.S. If you turn off the 3D Grid on the model, you'll get rid of the wierd triangulation occurring on the pad.

YES ! that's the trick :) thanks

rob

Well, with your model, you are creating a pad that moves the surface of the site below the current surface, so you are only creating a cut area for your building. You are not adding any volume to the site, only excavating the site.

To create Fill, you would need perhaps another site modifier, that raises the surface of the model in some way. Then the Fill value would be other than 0. Alternatively, you could use a site modifier set to Grader to retain the profile of the site, but add perhaps a few centimeters over it. This would create a fill value also.

Hope that makes sense.

oh, i see.

my intention was to create a horizontal plate around the house (0.5 to 1.0 m), dipped in the existing terrain on the one side and sticking above terrain on the other side, with slope adjustments.

in this way the effective terrain modification would be balanced in appearance (apart from the house volume, of course).

the grader positions itself with the existing terrain slope (as does the boundary), and none of other modifiers (neither the pad nor the texture bed) would fill the excavation with anything.

so i guess i'll have to model the volume by hand.

rob

Then you need more than one pad. The pad you have at the moment just creates a large rectangular flat area that dips into the terrain. You can have other pads at different levels, and you can of course add slope to each of them individually. Just be aware that pads must not touch, or one of the vertices at the touch point will be ignored and you will not get the result you are expecting. If you add other pads, you will of course get a Fill calculation, but at the moment you haven't given the site model any indication that you are filling anything.

Hope that helps.

yesterday i've just added another pad for this, at the level i wanted my plate to be. the dimensions are exactly of the boundary, and in the side view the new (horizontal) pad looks like the tilted boundary, a bit above it on one side, a bit below it on the other side.

the terrain updating flattened the area on the one side, but not everywhere.

some volume has been added, but not exactly to the level of the bottom pad so i must examine the effects.

but it confirms my assumption, thanks. now i have to play with the results.

rob