Focus 3D

Ok I have an entire plot already hung in 2D and I am trying to do it in 3D. When I pick one of my fixtures and tell it to focus on one of my focus spots the light beam does get focused there but the symbol doesnt move at all. Not in 2D or 3D. Why doesnt the symbol center on the center of the light beam?

Another focus problem i have is on my Fresnels i have hung i have some that are just pointed straight down. but the light goes to some random focus point not just straight down. why does the light do this i want these to just be straight down.

Right now i am haveing the hardest time getting any of my fixtures to hang and focus. Can someone help me before i go insane!!

well i just decided to create a new focus point for every fresnel right below it so then it is aimed straight down.

But i still dont know why my fixtures are not aligning with the focus points if someone can help. I attached a pic of what happens when i select a focus point. The beam light goes there but the actual fixture is unchanged.

[img:center]http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8375&filename=Bad%20focus.png[/img]

Edited by Foxmototech78
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The 2D does not automatically align to the focus. One of the common drafting standards to to have the 2D drawn only at 45deg (or 30deg) increments to indicate the general direction of the light and have a cleaner looking plot in 2D.

If your 3D is not working you are probably using an old symbol library. Additional data was added to the symbols in order to allow the 3D portion of the lighting device to rotate to the focus point. If you look a the symbol you should see a "Parts" record attached to various pieces of the 3D geometry in the symbol.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The libraries included with 2012 have the records. You can just import the symbol and replace the one in your current document. If you need to create your own symbol search the help for "Instrument and Accessory Specifications"