Sign in to follow this  
GWS

3d Set Screw

Can't change the length of ISO set screw from 20mm to anything longer.

Is it just me?

I think there is a length limit for each size of screw. Larger diams can go longer. eg M10 accepts up to 50mm. M1,6 accepts up to 8mm.

Manufacturers may have a greater range for each diam/pitch, but the fairly extensive US based hardware dealer Mcmaster.com shows M1,6 lengths up to 5mm and M6 up to 50mm.

Maybe others know a way to break the vwx limits?

Workaround is to use threaded rod and pretend it has a socket.

-B

Little update - The threaded rod (Detail 1 display Mode) has a deeper pitch pattern. Thread count is same spacing and position, but troughs are deeper, so does not exactly match the set screws (Detail display mode). Superimpose one of each to see what I mean.

These are just graphic representations, not CNC guides!

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8275&filename=ISOThreads.png

I wonder if that's due to different specs - ISO, DIN etc.

Or, maybe they are all just made up. Place one of the 3d ISO set screws next to the 2d ISO set screw. Very different thread profiles.

-B

I wonder who put these together, possibly someone who doesn't use in the real world. A theme that I seem to come across more and more with VW