Sign in to follow this  
Softroom

VW2013 Rhino Import/Export

Does anyone have positive experiences to report of incorporating the Rhino Import/Export of VW2013 into their workflow?

It appears that only geometry is transferred and all layer / class information is lost, which seems to limit the usefulness for round-trip development.

surprised that there isn't any discussion here.

this was something that i was really looking forward to. but, i just tried it and all i got was some partial geometry that is useless. i imported the same rhino model into cinema 4d as an obj file and it worked beautifully.

i really want vw to be part of my evolving 3d workflow, but my patience is running out.

ray

I agree that this is important. VW is sweet on many levels, but greatly lacking in modelling capabilities, especially of the organic shape type...

I'm currently looking into Rhino, and would expect VW to have a functioning interface with it.

carpalmer

vw imports rhino models saved a .igs files much better.

the vw rhino import is from what i've seen useless.

jeffery,

how is the preferred way to do that? up until now i have been sending issues and problem files to vss tech support, some of which get listed as bugs. but, if there's a better way, let me know and i'll do it.

cheers,

ray

Edited by ray isaacs

yes, jeffrey...the version. that occurred to me, too, because i'm using the most recent mac beta version of rhino 5.

ray

I am trying to export a Vectorworks file into a format that can be used in rhino format, for a friend.

I've never used Rhino before but there seems to be problems when they try to open an exported file from VW into the Rhino 3DM format.

What is the best file format to export a VW file into Rhino?

Thanks