Default Z Elevation

miles

Curious: how come so many layers? Usually when I import an ACAD document I check the "import ACAD layers as classes" box, as this is more in line with the VW paradigm.

Question: if you make the one layer which contains 3d elements the active layer, and chose "active only" as the layer visibility, you're saying that even though the layer is set to z=zero, when you switch to a front view the object in question is 6000 ft above where you'd expect it to be?

What if you just go to front view and move the symbol down so that it sits at zero? (I know it's a workaround, but sometimes we gotta do some strange things :-)

I'm a landscape architect and dealing with site design. Using classes instead of layers in my case is just not efficient. Classes are great for attribute consistency and worksheet calculations. I'm doing the workaround but it becomes a pain when creating 3-d views and calculating viewer height and 'looking toward' height.

Recalling that usually the Acad coordinate page differs from VW page and visa versa.

Perhaps the objects in question are sysmbols and those symbols are set to z=6000. Editing the symbols would correct the issues. I've found these 'origin' displacement issues to be relatively common. Imported symbols often have origins well off the default VW page.