Can't select or edit groups within groups

I have a drawing where I can no longer select nested groups within another group. Also, some polylines can no longer be selected. It's only the one drawing where I'm having this problem - have I switched something on or off, or has my drawing been corrupted somehow?

Any help or advice gratefully received, 'cos it's doing ma heid in!*

FYI, I am using VW 2010 SP4 on a Mac.

*colloquialism

- Edit -

Also just discovered with this drawing that right-clicking on an object and selecting "activate class" does not actually activate the class. Seems to me the drawing's corrupted, no?

Hi Michael,

My Mac is running OS X 10.6.8.

I've attached a stripped down file containing the problematic drawing sheet - the problem only occurs when I try to edit any groups I've created within the Viewport - I've grouped the light-fittings, switch routes and sockets for each room or circuit together for ease of editing. Whenever I click into one of these groups, the vast majority of the sub-groups contained within them are unselectable (bizarrely, some groups, particularly the square recessed light fittings in the bottom-left room, can still be selected and edited).

An example - click into the viewport on the drawing sheet and select one of the two groups which contain the large rectangular LED circuits in the central space. If you then click into the sub-group, you will notice that you cannot select the individual spotlight sub-groups. Also, with regards to the LED circuits themselves, if you click into this sub-group, only the dotted line is selectable while the enclosing solid lines are not. If the enclosing groups are exploded, the previously unselectable objects can now be edited.

It's mystified us here in the office. We've tried opening the model on a PC running a Windows version of Vectorworks, and it's exactly the same problem.

I've been using Vectorworks for about 3 years, and I've never come across this before.

Cheers,

Malcolm

I think I see what's going on.

The spotlight groups and the rounded rectangles are in the class "Electric"

Electric is visible in the Viewport, so it is visible in the annotations space.

However....

The class Electric is set to invisible in the Navigation Palette, so it can't be selected.

It's like the viewport class visibility is fighting with the document class visibility and they compromised. You can see the Electric class, but not select it.

Set the Electric class to visible in the Navigation Palette and all will be well.

hth

mk

ps. Thanks for posting the file. I would never have understood the problem you were having without the example.

Edited by michaelk