Problems using roads as site modifiers

Hi, I'm a new user of Vectorworks 2012 (with service pack 4) and I'm having issues making my roads into site modifiers. I have a large site plan and have made several roads using the "polyline>station on polyline>create road from stakes" command and then made the road segments into site modifiers. When I go to update my site model it either crashes (when I turn long segments of roads into site modifiers) or takes forever (when I turn very small segments of roads into site modifiers). It tends to crash or freeze when Vectorworks says it is "creating visual site model" after I clicked "update." I didn't have this problem with the first few roads I placed on the site, but it has gotten exponentially worse as my model has gotten more complicated.

I've tried running the site model update on 3 different computers, all Macs with quadcore and 6GB of RAM and I have the same problem on all three.

Would creating NURBS roadways instead of using the polyline tool improve the update? I don't seem to have the option of making a NURBS roadway on my program, but is there a way to get it?

Any advice appreciated!!

It might be helpful to know your hardware specs and OS flavor and version. FWIW, Site Modeling is very processor intensive, especially with a complex site, and there are a few tips and tricks that you will learn in time. It can be fussy, but once learned it becomes an invaluable part of nearly every project.

Comments:

1) Site Modifiers (Pads, Roads, Whatever) must be surrounded by Boundary Modifiers. Boundaries tell the program the extent of the edges of the grading.

2) No modifiers, including boundaries, can touch or overlap. They can however be VERY close to each other.

3) I generally try to use one Boundary for the entire area of influence. For example, create a polygon just barely surrounding the entire road, then use Modify>Obejcts from Poly>Site Modifier>Boundary. Then Update the Site Model...

4) Not knowing which exact VW's product you own, Nurbs Roadway is available in Landmark (and I think in Architect). If available in your installation, you can also use the Objects from Poly command to create a Nurbs Roadway from a centerline poly...

Hope that helps...

The designer version was installed which has Landmark, Architect, and spotlight but there still isn't a NURBS roadway command anywhere in the program, is it a seperate downloadable function? Not sure if a NURBS roadway would solve my problem anyway...

So far I've been turning each road segment into its own site modifer with its own pad and boundary by checking "site modifier" in the object info palette. The pads/boundaries do overlap which may be the cause of the problem, but I didn't have any issues with the first several roads I modified to the site (which did overlap).

I've tried to create pads and boundaries that go over the entire road instead of around each segment, which may solve my problem. However, I can't seem to get the pad to conform to my site. In other words, the road is curved and placed along a hill, but when I draw a pad around it in the "top/plan" view I can't get it to match up to the elevation of my road on the site. If that makes sense?

Thanks for your help! Still working on it

It sounds to me like the Nurbs Roadway would be the logical place to start. Try this: (first, SAVE AS, just in case!)... 1) First off, go to the Workspace Editor and add the command "Objects from Polyline" to the "Modify" menu. [i have no idea where this command went, or why it's no longer in any of the 'stock' workspaces, but it's awesome, so add it to your workspace!] 2) In top plan view, draw a polyline that represents the road centerline (note: let's start with one continuous polyline with no intersections, Y's or T's, as the Nurbs Roadway doesn't like these ... we'll get to the Y's and T's later... let's make the basic road work first.). 3) With the Polyline selected, go to menu item Modify>Objects From Polyline. 4) You will ow see a dialog that has a number of possible object types. Select Nurbs Roadway from the list. In the next dialog, enter data in the fields, as desired (remember, you can change all of this later via the Object Info Palette)...

After creation, select the Nurbs Roadway and in the OIP click Send Stations to Surface...

Update the Site Model.

This should get you started. Post further question here as needed... P

So, for the Y's and T's, Ive had the best success either a) using the other ROAD tools/objects (just make sure they do not touch or overlap the NURBS or each other - they can VERY close, like 1/16", but not touching) or b) filling in the bits and pieces using Roof Faces, Floors, Extrudes, or Texture Beds, Etc. (it's the old MIW philosophy - MIW = Make it Work)...

Glad you're off and running...