Updating References - Issues/Problems - VW is crashing

There are a small group in our office working on a single project. We have broken the project out into about a dozen files, such as building perimeter, grids + cores, interior suites, etc. We are referencing each others files as we proceed with the project so we can update the references and then adjust our drawings as we go.

We are currently having problems as we attempt to update one of the references. If we are working in the interior suites file and try to update the reference of the building perimeter to coordinate wall locations, vectorworks crashes during the "updating references" operation.

I am uncertain how I can troubleshoot this, as we have set up the references in a similar way in all of the other files. We have all of these parts of the building separated out so that we can each work on a portion of the project at the same time.

Is there a "using references" guideline available somewhere?

I would like to sort this out soon and gain a better understanding of the power of/or limitations of using references.

We are using Vectorworks Architect 2010 and only using it for 2D work.

Thanks.