Extruding Along Path

Shawncfer

Hey Guys!

Right now I'm working on a Ground Plan and 3D model of a set piece for a theater space. A class project. I've been making my way along pretty well but I've run into a bump that I can't seem to get over. I'll upload photos at the bottom if I can so you can see more of what I'm talking about. I have a wall with three windows in it on a certain part of stage that is at a weird angle. I drafted it in the ground plan, then went and drafted an elevation, made a copy, and extruded everything making it 3D. Everything came out perfect. So I put it into the 2D symbol that I had already made and turned it into a hybrid. Everythings great so far still. But right about then, I realized I forgot to put in my crown molding! So I went into to edit the 3D symbol. I realized it was at an angle, and I thought it might now work. So I put down two Locus's at the corners to keep track of where it was originally, and I turned it so it was flat. I then put it in front view, I drew a line 1 foot away from the top, then drew a section of my molding, and selected both the molding and line and attempted to extrude along path. One more thing I should mention is that the top of the wall is at an angle because it's forced perspective. So when I extruded along the path, it extruded the perfect length, but it was straight left to right instead of the angle of the line I wanted to extrude it on. And it also put it in the air completely off the wall. So I thought maybe it I rotated it so the top of the wall was flat it would work. Well sure enough it extruded it flat, but it's still floating in mid air not connected to anything. Any ideas?

You are not on the correct working plane when you are drawing the line (path) object. First off you should set two 3D locus points on the wall edges that will define the start and end of the path at the heights you wish, then select the set working plane tool and select the wall face that you want the crown on, draw a line on that working plane from the start point locus to the end point locus, select that line and the crown profile> extrude along path (you may need to adjust the path or profile just a bit to fit against the wall correctly).

I just recreated the scenario you have and worked fine; I didn't create a symbol from the wall but I don't think that is the problem.

This also really doesn't have anything to do with Renderworks, it is just a General Discussion issue so you will likely get quicker responses in that forum for issues such as this.

Good Luck, and put your specs and VW version on your profile info.