Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

How to insert a symbol into a document via a script

So I am trying to build my first plug-in and I am totally stuck. I can't seem to get the function for inserting a symbol to work.

Yes, I have read the documentation in the SDK. Yes, I understand the the function is Symbol( symbolName, pX, pY, rotationangle), but I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Does any have an example of a script that allows users to click on a spot on the document to insert a symbol, that they would like to share in order to help me out?

Thanks,

Tyler

Edited by Tyler@Sholight

Tyler,

What exactly isn't working for you-- are you getting an error message, or does the script run but you don't see your symbol?

What kind of plug-in are you building -- object, menu, or tool?

This may just be semantics, but Symbol() is a procedure, not a function, meaning that it does not return any information.

-Josh

Tyler,

???If it's a Menu Command plugin or Tool plugin you're writing, you'll need to use something like:

GetPt(pX, pY);

Symbol( 'My Symbol', pX, pY, rotationangle);?????{ explicit name }

or

GetPt(pX, pY);

symbolName := 'My Symbol';

Symbol(symbolName, pX, pY, rotationangle);?????{ variable name }

???If you're writing another type of object please describe more of what you are doing. Answers will vary.

HTH,

Raymond