How to create "broken" section viewport?/ control width of viewport ?

VW2010: Can't figure out how to create :

1) Broken section viewport. I click my mouse, i draw first leg of the section, then i click it again and drag(still pressing a button) to create a second leg, and then repeat this for the third. Unfortunately every time i do this i get only first leg created(second and third clicks apparently just define the direction and depth of the viewport as if i was just creating a plain "nonbroken" viewport). How to create a broken viewport?

2)How can i restrict the width of the viewport? I define the viewport boundaries by markers(when i draw section viewport). By some reason when i check the result on the sheet layer i see that i get much wider section, basically it's as wide as my whole drawing(e.g spreads far beyond markers). Why does this happen?

Please help :(

Katrin, By a broken section do you mean a stepped section? I've just tried drawing a stepped section in Vw 2010 and it works for me. If you mean a section with a gap in it you will need to use two sections.

You can limit the Length Range of the Section in the Section's Advanced Properties by selecting the Limited by Section Line Length option.

Hi Mike

1) Yes, i mean stepped viewport(term Broken is used in Nemetschek guide ). Could you please explain how to do it? I know, it sounds silly, but i'm must be missing just some mouse/btn click.

Literally, I do the following:

a) first 1 l-click - "start" marker

b) second 1 l-click - end of first "step"

3) third 1 l-click - start of second step

4) double l-click - "end" Marker. Then VW shows a dialog with "Create section viewport" parameters.

Result: First step of the viewport only. End marker is placed where the first step ends.

Should I hold any Shift/Alt keys maybe to "tell" VW that i'm still keeping on drawing steps? (nothing like that is mentioned in the manual though). What is suspicious is that VW draws section direction(triangle) already at step b), so apparently it doesn't expect me after b) to keep on drawing steps, it expects just to point direction and section depth.

Any suggestions?

2) "Limited by Section Line Length" - works , thank you very much!

Crikey, figured that out. Am I missing something or UI needs some improving?

to draw section like this:

-->

|

<---

instead of doing:

3--4

|

1---2

I have perform the following clicks(in order):

4--3(5)

|

1---2

At least that's the only way i've managed to figure out

Edited by Katrin

The Section Marker tool is a variation of the 'path tool' protocol of one click to start the path, one click for each change of direction of the path, and a double click to finish the path. Where it differs is:

- The second click determines the direction of view for the section.

- The path legs have to be orthogonal to the direction of the first leg.

The use in Help of 'broken' instead of 'stepped' to describe such a section is a terminology difference. I hadn't even noticed that the manual used 'broken' as the term for what we call a 'stepped' section. For us a 'broken' section is one which has part of it omitted.