Undo & Delete Behavior

Hi All

I'm new to Vectorworks but work day to day using Bentley Microstation (we don't use Triforma/full building modeling). I bought a license of Vectorworks Architect 2010 on Windows (years ago now) for personal projects which I have never got to grips with. Everytime I start I find it faster to flip back to the office Microstation. Anyway I am having another go now as I have more time. So my first couple of questions are:

1- Is there anyway to change the "Undo" behavior, it is driving me mad. It undoes everything, drafting work, views & settings. I need it to only undo actual work, not scrolling/zooming views or settings. In trying to correct this I found a setting in Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences which says "undo view changes" which I set to never.

When I test this by drawing two lines and then undoing them, it still jumps the view (in one step thankfully) to the lines, even if zoomed out enough to see them clearly?

The third ctrl-z then undid the preferences change which seems like madness! Help!

2. I am having some difficulty joining wall styles and in doing so have deleted perpendicular elements. The remaining walls have then changed length, presumably to account for the previous joint. Is this normal? Surely if a wall length was dialed in it should revert back to that exact length if a perpendicular corner is removed?

e.g. I draw a wall 5000mm long. I then add another wall element on one end perpendicular to the first. When I delete the second element, the first wall ends up 5132mm long.

Is there a way to change this behavior?

I can see there is a lot of power in Vectorworks if I can get over some of these interface issues.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

Francis

1- Is there anyway to change the "Undo" behavior, it is driving me mad. It undoes everything, drafting work, views & settings. I need it to only undo actual work, not scrolling/zooming views or settings. In trying to correct this I found a setting in Tools>Options>Vectorworks Preferences which says "undo view changes" which I set to never.

When I test this by drawing two lines and then undoing them, it still jumps the view (in one step thankfully) to the lines, even if zoomed out enough to see them clearly?

The third ctrl-z then undid the preferences change which seems like madness! Help!

A classic longstanding irritation that many of us longterm users have 'forgotten' to be irritated by!!

2. I am having some difficulty joining wall styles and in doing so have deleted perpendicular elements. The remaining walls have then changed length, presumably to account for the previous joint. Is this normal? Surely if a wall length was dialed in it should revert back to that exact length if a perpendicular corner is removed?

e.g. I draw a wall 5000mm long. I then add another wall element on one end perpendicular to the first. When I delete the second element, the first wall ends up 5132mm long.

Not directly, either disable auto wall joining and join manually later or change the length of the remaining wall back to its correct length in the OIP (Object Information Palette)after you have removed the other. VWs doesn't 'remember' the original length.

Okay, thanks for the input. I guess I will have to re-wire my brain on the undo issue. Coming from a different CAD program with infinite undo's it is a bit weird! I don't think I can think of any other program that accesses the settings via undo.

On the wall issue, I had spotted I could amend it, but I need to learn the correct way to do it, as it makes a difference which "direction" the wall was drawn in as to where it amends the length.

Thanks again for the input.

Regards,

Francis

• 5 months later...

You can change this setting, I found it quite frustrating also!

To change the setting go to Session Preferences (under the preferences tab), and change "undo view changes" to "Never" - ignores all operations that are strictly view changes.

Emily