manually entering elevation points ASL (above Sea Level)

Craig D.S.

Greetings

I'm slowly starting to get the hang of some of this different then what I'm used to program (VW11), having just now started on my first whole project with it.

I need to show the existing (Church) building on the 3d site plan to examine the steep grade change for optimum new addition placement.

I obtained the existing site with the elevation points as a scanned document

The site plan is now drawn with the plot lines and hardscapes and manually entered 3d stake objects etc.

The problem is the elevation points are in metres above sea level (256), and the plan is down at z=-6"

What is the best way to resolve the present quandry so that the building FP is at the right spot elevation and the property line follows the respective terrain?

Is it better to make the 2d DTM then add the 3d stake objests?

I will try to show some images as soon as i figure out how

Edited by Craig D.S.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you put the building on a different design layer, you can change the elevation of that design layer so that the building sits where you want on the model.

Alternatively, you can create a design layer viewport of the site model on a different design layer - and change the elevation of that design layer (hiding the original model). This will retain the heights as they are within the model, but move the view of the model so that it lines up with your model of the building.

So, to summarise, either:

Move the design layer the building is on

or

Create a design layer viewport of the site model and move that to meet the building.

Hope that helps.