Shifting elevations of layers

When I view, say, the 2nd floor plan, everything is aligned, yet when I view the entire model in elevation, parts of the 2nd floor plan appear in a different elevation from the rest. I did create some new layers after using the Setup Assistant, but according to their info, they should appear in the same spot as the layers already set up in the SA. All the 2nd floor layers "Z" and delta Z values match, but I can't seem to view them that way. Either they appear wrong in the entire model, or they're wrong in the 2nd floor sheet. Any suggestions?

frown.gif" border="0

A couple things come to mind: 1) Occasionally I find that I need to re-create a LINK (ie: select, unlock, delete and rebuild) for new layer info to be accurate. I'm not sure why. 2) Many times you will find walls or roof objects that have a "z" setting different from the layer which they are in. Check the OI palette. 3) Make sure that when you are viewing LINKS, only the active layer is visible. You may looking at some data twice. I hope this helps! PLC

You should also check the delta z values for the layers in the Layers dialog box. You can set where the layers start in z space with the delta z values for each layer. You can set the foundation at -2', set layer 1/floor 1 to 0', floor 2/layer 2 set to delta z of 9 feet to allow for 8 foot ceilings and 1' slab between the floors, the third floor could be at 18' - 9 feet above floor 2.. etc.

If that information is set to 0, and you do not have the correct z values for the objects in that layer, when you link them and look at an elevation view, you could have the layers all sitting on top of each other, or one layer waaaay up in the sky. Check the layers delta z value. If these are larger than 0, then make sure they are at the right height. If they are all 0, check the height of the objects in the layer to ensure they have the right z and delta z height.

Hmmmm. ... I checked my z & delta z values - everything was correct. PLC: Sometimes I did see double layers, so changing values & unlocking my links fixed that. Thanks!

The problem seemed to lie somewhere between the automatically created layers & the ones I created. Even with the same z values, I couldn't view them that way. Eventually what I had to do was delete them & recreate or transfer them to one of the automatically generated layers. That seemed to fix it. Thanks for the help!