Consolidating Records

Hello All!

I'm creating a master symbol library of all the 'non-soft symbol' lighting symbols that my cohorts and I use. I've achieved the first step of putting them all in one file, and then 'roughly' organizing them. Now I have the problem of having 14 different records, from all the different symbols. Is there a way to consolidate them so that I don't lose information? I want them to all be 'Lighting Info Record.'

On a separate note, I've organized them all on to the 'none' class because I hoped that everyone would have a none class that they don't turn off, but I'd love to make it user definable. Is there a way to do that?

Best,

--Jimmy

Jimmy,

I'm a little unclear on both your questions.

By "14 different records" do you mean Light Info-1, Light Info-2, etc? Were you bringing in symbols created from an earlier version of VW? The light info record has evolved over the years, so one from a previous version will be seen as different from that in a current file, and you will get a replace/renane warning. The easiest way to deal with this is to import the current Light Info format into your original symbol file, replacing the old LIRec. Any data in matching fields will be preserved. Then bring the symbol into your new symbol library.

There is also a menu command: Tools>Records>Transfer field data, though you will need to do this one field at a time.

You probably want to make the class more specific than none. One of the great features of classes is that you can set attributes by class, thus ensuring that all your line weights and fills are consistant among instruments. You can call the class whatever you wish. Another user can simply rename the class, and objects will maintain their class assignments.

Also, please add our OS and VW versions to your signature -- that will help us help you.

HTH,

Josh