Extruding

I am extruding a building form and landscape forms from a plan. Initially, the building extruded properly, but now that I edited some of the walls and added doors... only the new doors are extruded and can be viewed in 3D. When I try to extrude the building an error message pops up that says....this operation cannot be performed inside an extrude, sweep, or multiple extrude object. Press Done in the databar to exit the object.

What does that mean? where is the "databar"? what can I do so that I can see the modified building form in 3D? why are the doors the only 3D objects that are showing up?

Please HELP!

the databar is directly above your ruler. There will be a "done" button on the upper right hand corner of the databar.

It sounds like you're trying to make 3D edits inside a 3D object's history state. All created 3D objects will have a history state that you can go back into and edit. While you're in that history state, you cannot perform some functions, as it would create impossible geometry.

For example, an extruded cylinder has a history state that shows the circle that was used to create the extrude. You could go in and edit that circle, make it bigger, clip it, whatever. But you couldn't put a sphere into that history state, because when you pressed "done" VW would try to extrude that sphere. So VW will tell you that you cannot perform that operation.

Since all 3d extrudes are based on an original 2d poly, selecting a 3D object and then entering the 'group' takes you recursively to the origin which is always a single or multiple 2D object(s). Editing the 2d object9s) then results in changes to the 3d object(s) once you exist the 'history state' as G_PD points out.

Try placing a 3d Locus into the '2d history state'. No can do.