Wall to wall seams

Ken

In this situation, the "fill" wall cannot be shown in either floor plan (lower or upper). The lower walls turn the corner. This makes the fill wall "butt joint" at the wall corners show as a seam in Hidden Line render.

How do you fix this problem IN AN EASY WAY?

(also notice line weight problem in this simple model, affecting the windows too)

elevz.jpg

isomi.jpg

Make T-joins instead of L-joins to make the lines go away. It is possible that you'll have to create symbols to edit the 3D endcaps of the walls. But it's perfectly doable.

If you don't want to use those symbols, you can do it another way by cutting your walls near the join, then set the height of your L-join walls lower, and copy them to the layer in between where the fill-in wall is, and use T-joins with the fill-in wall.

If you send me the file, I can show it to you.

But those walls are fill objects on a different layer. They are, say, 3 feet in height.

The L-corner walls are fine on their own layer. They are, say, 9 feet in height.

All walls, both layers, are then aligned at the top (same ZZ tops, pun intended). So T-joins make no sense.

I'll try to simplify the drawing and send it to you.

That's a decent work around.

But 3 little questions remain.

1. How did you resolve the chamfered inside corner?

naamt.jpg

2. How do you resolve the open gap in the rendered image?

3. Is it possible to eliminate the texture mismatch? (This #3 is relatively low priority for my immediate purposes, but I'm just curious)

rendered.jpg

1. Use the wall addition feature

2. Use a wall cap or set wall center texture to match exterior

3. Change texture mapping from plane to perimiter or vice versa

2. Yes!

3. No. For walls, the options only include Plane, Sphere, Cylinder. Only Plane looks like a texture. The other two don't... unless there's yet another work-around?

1. How do you do so for a corner situation? These are what I get. I had to pick one or the other wall.

corner1c.jpg

corner2.jpg

3. Is it possible to eliminate the texture mismatch? (This #3 is relatively low priority for my immediate purposes, but I'm just curious)

rendered.jpg

Under the Render tab in the OIP, you should be able to adjust "Offset V:" to get the textures aligned. Warning: frustrations include trying to change this and nothing happens because you're looking at the outside (left) side of the wall when the inside is selected (above in the OIP), and also just how much to adjust "V" can be a mystery, as the results may seem only semi-predictable. But once you're through that guantlet, it's easy!! Really.

This texture mismatch thing is actually an issue whenever you have any kind of horizontal siding and it's coursing exposure isn't an even multiple of the floor-to-floor height. New since 2008, I've noticed the "Use World Z For Origin" option in the OIP, which I though might resolve the issue, but as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to do anything...

1. How do you do so for a corner situation? These are what I get. I had to pick one or the other wall.

corner1c.jpg

corner2.jpg

I'm not sure how you're doing this (I think this image is from the pre-pillar suggestion). If you're all set with the 3D geometry, and this 2D representation is the only issue, you might consider just patching it with 2D drafting in the annotations of your floor plan viewport. Not ideal, but quick and easy. Though less so if you also have a RCP, a partial plan, and a detail all stemming from this one intersection...

I'm not sure how you're doing this (I think this image is from the pre-pillar suggestion). If you're all set with the 3D geometry, and this 2D representation is the only issue, you might consider just patching it with 2D drafting in the annotations of your floor plan viewport. Not ideal, but quick and easy. Though less so if you also have a RCP, a partial plan, and a detail all stemming from this one intersection...

My reply here summarizes the situation:

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=161510#Post161510

That's because you didn't draw the pillar correctly, or your wall isn't aligned with the pillar. I'll add a pictur of the ability to join a wall with a pillar, and you'll see that the connection is made correctly and fast and easy.

You seem unable to put two and two together! Sure it's fine on its own. But it's not that simplistic.

The other wall is on another layer! YOU ARE THE ONE who showed the seamless solution in this discussion above! Why do you delete the critical issue and/or ignore it?

How did you do this? This is YOUR DRAWING. I've only added the red arrow and words, "EXISTING CORNER." Is the corner object a pillar? There's a fill object above as lintel spanning from corner to corner. It's a wall segment on another layer as you already know. It cannot be shown on the floor plan.

The lower layer/walls at the L corner must show the existing corner chamfer.

naamt.jpg

P.S.

And why do YOU always use the word YOU directed at the questioner? YOU should learn how to soften your replies. Do YOU understand how this is not just the English language?

How did you do this? This is YOUR DRAWING. I've only added the red arrow and words, "EXISTING CORNER." Is the corner object a pillar? There's a fill object above as lintel spanning from corner to corner. It's a wall segment on another layer as you already know. It cannot be shown on the floor plan.

P.S.

And why do YOU always use the word YOU directed at the questioner? YOU should learn how to soften your replies. Do YOU understand how this is not just the English language?

Then how should I call you then?

I'll attach an example of two wall and a pillar on one layer, and another wall on a different layer, and see that there is no line between them, even though it's on a different layer. And you should be happy that we try to help you here. You really sound like a mister know it all that doesn't know nothing.

The previous solution I showed was withouth a pillar, just a 2D poly for showing the 2D plan correctly. If interiour elevations and sections are not coming from the model or not important, you don't have to care for it.

Edited by DWorks

Then how should I call you then?

I'll attach an example of two wall and a pillar on one layer, and another wall on a different layer, and see that there is no line between them, even though it's on a different layer. And you should be happy that we try to help you here. You really sound like a mister know it all that doesn't know nothing.

But why do YOU need to call ME? Think about it. Do you start every reply by saying "you didn't draw it correctly" ... "you made a mistake" ... "you have a problem" ??

I'm not claiming any knowledge at all. Why assume that? YOU keep ignoring the specific issue. Why don't YOU answer the question directly. How did YOU modify the drawing that YOU previously shown? I've circled it below. What is the shape of the pillar object at the T-join?

naamt.jpg

YOU keep thinking that YOU are trying to help me (and you're speaking for others now? who's "we" as in "we try to help you" ??). Why don't YOU think of this exercise as another opportunity to display YOUR immense knowledge? Because I'm the foolish one, right?

If YOU had any wisdom, YOU would understand that this is actually all just trying to identify the problems and pursuing the solutions or work-arounds in Vectorworks. Why must it be YOU against me? Do you always have to be correct? (Click HERE )

Maybe nobody will ever know if this problem lies perhaps with a file translation from v2010, or in a layer-linked model as opposed to stacked layers, or a different shape of the corner pillar... or any number of other possibilities. I inserted a pillar at that corner, and the seam reappeared. You have the same drawing file. Go figure.

P.S.

Notice how annoying and offensive it sounds when you use the word "YOU" so much? So how should I call you then? Right.