Automatic Drawing Coordination

It appears that automatic drawing coordination is only applicable for section viewports, their section line instances and their drawing labels, and the sheets they're on (title blocks).

It seems that drawing labels and reference markers for other types of drawings (in regular viewports) such as details, partial floor plans, interior elevations, etc., are not in any way automatically coordinated.

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks! Will

Hi Robert,

Okay, thanks for confirming this.

In my experience, interior elevations aren't typically keyed with a section line, but rather with a single reference marker in the center of the space. Exterior elevations often aren't keyed at all on the plans, but if they were, again, I think it would be with a reference marker rather than a section line.

Hopefully the ADC will eventually include reference markers! I love it for the section viewports.

In the meantime, I'll continue to use my symbols-based keying system for the other types of drawings.

Thanks! Will

Ah, okay. Is there any way to make the line itself disappear? When I tried to drag it's ends to the marker symbol, it worked on one side, but then on the second side the symbol jumped over and there was a short line off to one side. I found that if I draw a very short section line (just a couple of inches at 1/4" scale) I can get it to work. However, an interior I did today had ............ never mind! Just select "None" for pen style in the attributes palette and, voila, only the marker remains visible! Great! And I see that I can even create a diamond symbol, or similar, for individual interiors. Excellent! Thanks, Robert

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Will, as you've discovered, to make the line disappear, just give it invisible attributes ("none" pen). And you most certainly can make it zig-zag, either at first entry or using the Reshape tool on the Section Line object. But the extent of the line itself is important, especially for interior elevations, as you will want to set the IE view to the extents of the Section Line.

Hope this is helpful, R.

When I select the zig-zagged section line and change it's configuration from "Section" (it's default configuration at creation) to "Elevation," all of the zigs and zags disappear to be replaced with a single straight line, to which the 2D reshape tool won't add any breaks.

I did not follow your last sentence regarding the extent of the line itself being important, as I just use a VP crop to define the extent of the IE, regardless of the length of the section line itself.

Thanks! Will

Hi Robert,

I actually find crops easier to use than the Extent functions in the Advanced Section Properties dialog box (especially now that everything can be seen while in crop mode, a nice feature!). Also, with 2008, section VP's weren't updating properly, and tech support suggested using an infinite Length, which resolved the issue (and necessitated the use of crops anyway). In any case, I don't think crop vs. extent addresses the coordination question? If I need a zig-zag line to generate my interior, and if the "Elevation" configuration can't zig-zag, then the marker needs to be at one end or the other, not in the middle where it wants to be for an interior...

I think what might be ideal, ultimately, is some kind of function that can be linked to specific drawings (viewports) that displays their number and/or sheet; something that could be activated for Reference Markers, Section-Elevation Markers, and also that could be incorporated into custom symbols. Often I'll have a single key in the middle of a space for it's interiors (see attached). The sheet number and each of the drawing numbers could each be an instance of this function, included in the key symbol.

In the meantime, my symbols system for keying actually works quite well...

Thanks! Will

Hi Robert,

I took a quick look at the Space object; it looks like it has seen some nice improvements, particularly with the ability to use symbols for the label. However, it looks as though the sheet & drawing numbers need to be manually entered for the label? So, unless I'm missing something, that's not ADC.

You said above that ADC is currently only available for section viewports. Presumably there are plans to expand the ADC concept to include all keying types, ideally done in such a way as to offer users the complete flexibility to create custom keying...

Thanks! Will

• 2 months later...

I didn't really think Automatic Drawing Coordination would be expanded with a service pack; I was just being hopeful.

ADC really does seem like the kind of thing that computers are especially well suited for. It kinda seems to me that it's easily a decade overdue in Vectorworks. Hasn't ArchiCAD had ADC for about that long?... Anyway, hopefully, NVW will follow through with its next release and make the ADC comprehensive.

Ideally ADC would include a flexible function of some type that might be incorporated into the existing types of markers but that could be easily incorporated into custom marker symbols, including symbols that might feature multiple keying, such as for interior elevations.

Thanks! Will