Renderworks 2011 or 2012, iMacs, memory, and 64-bit addressing

Hello,

I am currently running VW 2009 Designer with Renderworks on a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz with 6.5 GB memory. Rendering has always been limited by a 3GB limit to memory usage. I watch Activity Monitor while rendering and when real memory usage gets to about 3 GB, rendering either ceases with an out of memory message, or VW quits altogether. HDRI lighting is also a memory hog. My solution is to reduce the resolution to a level that keeps memory usage below 3 GB. I often like to add hidden line rendering in the foreground, but this is hopeless for some of the complex work I do.

I am now planning to replace my old G5 with a Quad-Core Mac and the new, top of the line 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 Quad-Core looks quite attractive, especially since my 23" Cinema HD Display is showing its age. My other option is the Mac Pro 2.8 GHz Nehalem Quad-Core.

My first question: does 64 bit addressing solve this memory access problem? Will I be able to access more than 3 GB memory and run these renderings at a higher resolution? If so, then does the iMac i7 support 64 bit addressing? Nowhere in Apple's specs does it say so.

Cinebench 11.5 tests from a year ago show the iMac i7 2.93 Ghz edging out the Nehalem 5.5 to 5.1, so that looks good. (http://barefeats.com/wst10.html)

At the price of a refurbished iMac i7 this seems like the best solution for me in the +/-$2,000 price range, but only if it solves this memory issue.

Does anyone have experience with these models?

Regards,

Jim

Jim-

I have no experience with the iMac i7 2.93 Ghz that you mentioned, but it does use the 64-bit kernel by default: Mac OS X v10.6: Macs that use the 64-bit kernel

These two old posts from NNA explain what you're seeing on your G5 maxing out at less than 3GB RAM.

Christiaan,

My understanding from our engineers is that the Mac OS will allow VW (and other apps) to address 3GB of RAM, in theory, but more likely 2.5GB in the confines of reality.

And...

VectorWorks 2008 is a 32-bit application, so it is still limited to 4 GB or less (probably less), regardless of the OS. Certainly VectorWorks will have to go 64-bit at some point, but I couldn't tell you which version will do so.
VwCB: Optimal amount of RAM for Mac Pro

VwCB: Vectorworks and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

VwCB: which iMac?

As Vectorworks 2012 is still a 32-bit application, I believe that it is limited to addressing a max of 4GB of RAM.

Read this article for additional info on 10.6 Snow Leopard 64-bit RAM allocation, it probably still applies to 10.7 Lion: Apple Insider: Road to Snow Leopard: twice the RAM, half the price, 64-bits

HTH,

Tim

Vectorworks 2012 is still a 32-bit app, but can be run on 64-bit stations/operating systems. Vectorworks will only address a max of 2.5 GB of RAM.

Renderworks/CineRender 2012 (and 2011) is a 64-bit, multi-core application. It is essentially Cinema4D "Lite". When you render a scene with any of the Renderworks modes, the CineRender app runs in the background, parallel to Vectorworks. CineRender will address as much RAM as it needs, but it takes advantage of CPU power over RAM.

So more cores, faster processor is better. More RAM helps if you have multiple apps running at one time....