Import Problem

Hello;

I imported a single DXG of a landscape plan. It imports as one design layer with about forty separate classes for contours, plants, architecture, etc. Unfortunately, although the separate classes are apparently there, they also seem to be grouped into a general class that is locked.

When I put the cursor over an element (for instance a contour line), it responds, and if I turn off the visibility of that class, it disappears, and yet I cannot click it and modify it, and no data shows up in the Object Info palette. All these elements are bound together in one group class.

Is there a way to separate out these classes?

Marc

Just some comments and ideas:

I have imported some ACAD objects, esp polylines, which cannot be selected or edited in some portions of the object. This was several versions ago. I think I could select at one end of the poly (but not the other end), then decompose and recompose. Or maybe I traced over.

Maybe you are missing an xref file which has some vector info or records for this file and objects in it.

Set your Class Visibility to Show/Snap/Modify Others. (you probably already did that).

Check that active layer is same as layer containing the objects. Set Layer Visibility to Show/Snap/Modify Others (you probably did that already, too)

Try importing to a new file with standard dwg import, not the single dwg import, and try some different options.

Can you select anything in the drawing to populate the OIP ? SomeACAD files have everything in a layer composed into a single symbol. The vectors from which the symbol is made are sometimes also in another layer. Almost like a viewport.

Make all design layers same scale in your VW file.

If dwg file is not proprietary or too big, pleased post here via File Manager in Full Reply Screen for others to try (change the extension to pdf to trick this forum's filter for file type. Or eMail to me if under 10 mb - address in my profile.

-B

Hi Benson;

Of course I am using the Show/Snap/Modify Others properly, but thanks for asking.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you wrote "someACAD files have everything in a layer composed into a single symbol." Large blocks of the drawing seem to be locked up in three or four symbols.

When I click on those to edit them (symbol editor), they cannot be edited in the 2D mode, only in the 3D mode (the contour lines must have 3D info embedded in them) so my guess is this is a problem of VW not sorting out the 2D and 3D info correctly.

I will see if my colleague can save their file as 2D only.

Thank you.

Marc

There is a VW option to import everything as 2d only. Might be worth importing again as a test.

That whole drawing as a symbol is something I started to see only recently. I can't tell if it's a new technique or something ingrained in new versions of ACAD or just me finally running into it.

Anyway, good luck. If you can, post how you sorted it.

-B

I tried importing as 2D only but that didn't help.

In the end I used a manual solution. I separated out each of the locked symbols, clicked them to get in Edit mode, copied all the data, closed the symbol, and pasted the data back into a 'normal' situation. There were four separate symbols but eventually I got all the data back into a usable state.

Thanks for the tips.

Marc