volume in work sheet

I am trying to calculate the volume of a footer on a design layer. when I paste in the function and criteria -

=CRITERIAVOLUME((L='Design Layer-1'))

I just get a "true" in the cell and not the volume of my extruded object.

Any help would be worth its weight.

Thanks

C

I have attached a sample.

I want to calculate the volume of three footings separately and then get a total for all of them. I have simplified the footings to three cubes in the sample file attached.

why am I getting a "true" or "false" in the cell. it is not an error message that I am aware of.

Thanks

c

Chris

It's the difference between a worksheet cell and a database header.

1. Edit the Criteria of the database. Change it to Type is Extrude and check include symbols.

2. Change C2 to =CRITERIAVOLUME() or =VOLUME.

You now have a list of the volumes of each extrude. I think the problem is that symbols are virtual containers of objects and themselves have no volume.

It sounds more like a theological argument than a practical one, but if you think of all the 2D and 3D elements that could be in a symbol, it starts to make sense.

So now you have a list of extrudes, but they are unconnected to the symbol names.

2 possibilities:

1. Create a record format and attach data to the symbol. Use the presence of the record format as a criteria..

2. Change the database header for the symbol name to =CONCAT('Cube ', VOLUME/144). It's a backdoor way of making it look like it is tracking the symbols.

hth

mk

So I thought I would follow up with what i was doing wrong. It appears I did not make sure that the Data Row was set to Data and not Spread Sheet.

This is how i got what I got:

So I first set the row to data by control clicking on the row. then set the criteria for the row by pasting in one that I liked using the option button to add additional information. If you are having trouble check the data field of your object. and make sure you have the information in there for the criteria.

then I pasted in the function (criteriavolume) and added functions that I need to the different rows.

I hope this helps