Renderworks 2011 Open GL "out of memory" ...

Horst M.

Hallo,

I have (sometimes) a wired effect in open GL Render.

I set a View, switch the Render Mode to open GL.

RW renders the View very fast, diplays it,

and starts right away with a second rendering, wich starts with "built List" and takes ages to finish or aborts (if I'm lucky) with a "Lack of memory" Message.

Isn't this "built List" stuff from RW2010 ??? because I can't remember that I ever saw it in RW2011 except in the Cases the Programm goes Crazy as descibed above.

Edited by Horst M.

Horst

I'm also seeing it. Not all the time - usually with larger files. Just happened 5 minutes ago.

After telling it to render in Open GL the following progress statements appear in the lower right hand quarter along with a progress bar:

1. Symbols (pretty quick)

2. Geometry (pretty quick)

[Open GL image appears]

3. Build List (slower progress)

4. Render (VERY slow progress. 5 minutes+)

Sometimes step 4 finishes and a new Render progress bar starts. Then I get the "One or more operations were aborted due to lack of memory" notice.

Sometimes step 4 finishes and VW crashes. Without even the usual "Send a report to Apple" message.

But sometimes it works as expected....

Strange...

mk

hallo michealk,

you describe it better than me, but thats exactly what I have.

I have one File 7MB which does it all the time now.

Unfortunately it shows just 256 instances of a Chair, with a very strictly protected

Design, so I can't post it for inspection by others.

I'm working in the Moment on a bigger File (3d Recreation of an industry memorial part of Steel Plant), (80MB) which has shown thi effect twice,

but it went away after rebooting the computer.

Now I'm very very afraid, that the effect will stay and the File (40+ hours of work) becomes unuseable, so I decided to backup this every day with a new Filename.

I don't like to be afraid using VW .... :-((

I drew it, to be able to place it in Renderings its the one we have in our venue as Audience Seats, and its desgined by a very friendly designer....

Before I drew it myself I asked her for a 3d Model to use it in Renderings for the Venue, and received the answer from a lawyer.

Horst

You made me wonder if the seats in the theater I was drawing had a problem.

So I tried rendering one layer at a time. The drawing has 13 layers.

All the layers, including the layer with the 350 chair symbols rendered almost instantly in open GL. Except for the layer with instruments.....

I'll look into it, but for some reason the instruments are causing massive slow down in rendering Open GL.

mk

michael

May be the probelm is caused by Symbols that are made with a previous Version of VW and converted to 2011.

The chair is from VW2009 converted to VW 2010 and now to 2011.

I suspect, that your instruments are originally drawn with an older VW Version ?.

so it could be some geometry that RW2011 doesn't like...

I had approx. 1400 Rivets on Posts that I created with the hemisphere tool in the File of the Steel Plant.

They seem to be Zombi Geometry for the render Engine.

I had to delete them.

Open GL rendering crashed ....

Horst M.

Edited by Horst M.

All the instruments are new (2011).

I have a few non-instrument objects on the instrument layer.

I'm going through them one object type at a time to see if removing them helps.

The seats are symbols I probably made in 2009 or 2010. But they render great.

The rest of the drawing renders fine...

mk

Youre right, the initally described Problem must be caused by something else.

I took the Chair Symbol from the buggy File (which is the only element in there besides Text and a rectangle) and placed 400 Instances in a new File

Open GL Renders in seconds...

No "build List ..... "... lack of Memory..." action

...and I just found an unhappy symbol in my drawing. A little sweep. I replaced the sweep in the symbol definition and it's happy. Not super fast, but not crashing.

In your chair symbol you might want to look for object types that could have self intersecting geometry, like sweeps, extrude along paths and maybe shells.

Replace that geometry and see if it gets happy.

mk

I found the source of my Problem also.

Its caused by a different effect than the slow down that mk was experiencing with the defective Geometry of an instrument.

The second rendering with the "build List ... Geometry" Stuff

after OPEN GL is displayed, starts only if

I have 2d Geometry visible in Layer Plane View, Like a rectangle on the Floor to illustrate an outline.

It seems to happen in some Cases, were 2d and 3d Elements are visible in "Layer Plane View", that Renderworks tries to do some hiddenline or whatever rendering with the old render Engine.....

After I deleted the 2d geometry or switched to "Screen Plane" the second rendering wasn't caused.

Edited by Horst M.