True/Relative Orientation by Layer/File

Farookey

Hello ALL...

Here is something that may be 'wish-list-worthy', unless I have missed it already.

Allow individual layers and files to contain orientation data in order to be able to properly placed/referenced (relative to it's 'true' orientation).

Example:

One has:

1) a site model (with relevant data from surveyors), with North (and it's North) being up on the page.

2) a building model, which is placed square on the page for easy workflow, but whose orientation is 'X' degrees from the (true) North.

*If these models were placed together in the normal VW workflow, one (of the models) would have to be rotated from it's original state.

These models can either be in separate files, or in the same file on different layers. The layers can be set up with orientation maybe relative to North (being up on the page). i.e. in the above example, the building model layer can be set to 'X', whereas the site model layer is set to '0' (North/up). Unified view will line both models up in the correct orientation with both layers having the same North. Also, page North can be toggled as can currently be done through the View > Lighting > Set Sun Position dialog.

In fact, the user has the complete control of how the layers/sheets are viewed in relation to orientation.

Of course this option can be toggled on and off, on a whole.

There is no need to rotate an object/model each time, as it is automatically placed in the correct orientation which can then be further customized to suit the user's needs.

While we're at it, the North Arrow PIO can also be automated with this, with an option of course!

This is just an idea in development, but would like to hear any input on the possibilities of it as I may have missed out on something. Just sending this quickly to get some feedback, may have flaws in it...

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from the rotate plan function I don't believe there is any other solution in VWs, I've always found cad apps with ACS (auxiliary coordinate systems) to be complicated, confusing and an accident ready to happen......then again having options for any scenario is a strength too......on the other hand I wonder if it is necessary with the options we have? Using rotated plan we have the option to draw in any orientation in DLs and using the OIP we can give a viewport any rotation we want in SLs, that should cover most scenarios?!

Edited by Vincent C

You can reference an external file using Design Layer Viewports (eg your survey file)

This DLVP can be positioned rotated and locked into position.

or conversely -

Reference your Building Model file as a DLV into your file containing your site, rotate, position and lock it.