Replacing Lighting Positions?

I tour with dance companies, using a rep plot built in Vectorworks 2010. The rep plot has 50 foot electrics, but for some venues, this is just not right.

I would like to change the lighting position quickly and easily to 40 foot or 63 foot pipes as required, but unlike instruments, there seems to be no simple way to replace Lighting Positions.

What am I missing? There always seems to be a way to do what you want in VW, but I can't find this one in manual, knowledgebase or brute force trying everything I can imagine.

Peter,

Lighting Position Objects use symbols for their geometry. The conversion process creates the symbol behind the scenes, so this may be unclear.

The first step is making sure all your positions use the same symbol. Select one of your positions. At the bottom of object info, there is a Symbol Name field.

Find that symbol in your resource browser. If it's not already, instead of 1E, 2E, etc. duplicate the symbol and call it "50 Foot Pipe."

Select all positions that use the 50' pipe. Enter the new symbol name in the symbol field and press enter.

To change the pipe length, either

- Edit your pipe symbol and change the length

- Copy the pipe symbol so you have 50 pipe, 40 pipe, etc, and change the symbol name in all of your pipe fields.

You may find the select similar tool useful, either by object type, or by class if you put all your electrics in the same subclass.

HTH,

Josh