dormer window insert

domer1322

I'm puzzled .... when I use the tool palette (shift-D) to make a window, then ungroup, then 'create symbol' to insert in the roof to make a dormer, it works as advertised. However, when I try the same procedure but starting with a default window (from Marvin folder) it won't let me make a dormer by the same procedure.

This seems odd that all the default content windows can't be used directly to make a dormer. Am I missing something ? Is there some trick to it ? A user ought to be able to just drag the default content windows directly on the roof to make a dormer.

bcd: you are correct .... thanks for the help. I tried it by dragging on to the roof directly from the folder with Marvin windows and I worked. It doesn't work when 'activate' the plug-in/symbol. Now I have to wonder .... all the windows in the Marvin folder are red, meaning they are plug-ins. The VW help manual specifically states the window has to be a symbol, and not a plug-in, in order for this procedure to work. I hope the manual writer gets the info in this thread. bcd: once again, thanks for the help, too bad I wasted 45 minutes trying to figure it out

also: is it true that the roof framer doesn't really work for anything other than a rectangular roof? Among my issues: dormers don't frame correctly, missing rafters on corners, and the top plate is rotated 90 deg from normal (my top plates always generate with the 3.5" dimen of a 2x4 in the vertical plane when it should be in the horizontal plane.