esc key doesn't work when rendering w/ indirect lighting

grant_PD

Question

I'm sure it's because I'm totally maxing out my system. But when I render with indirect lighting, there's nothing I can do to stop the render. This only happens when I have a crazy lighting set up that maxes out my computer. I end up manually powering off the computer because it won't even allow me to start the task manager.

I don't know if NNA can fix me from maxing out, but it does leave one with a bit of a Wiley Coyote moment when you realize you've run off the edge of the cliff and there's no where to go but....down.

5 answers to this question

bMeep bMeep!

i know the feeling, but i figured recent releases wouldn't . . . .

but Maxing out 8 cores and 8 Gig should by rights, be a very hard task. VW on my old G5 never accessed more than 2Gig, so i assume VW is still not yet Multi Processer aware Multi Thread capable.

Seems odd, but looks like only patience will cure this one Grant

Well, to be fair. I maxed it out on my laptop: i7 chip with 6 gigs of RAM. I've checked the process meters when doing renders, and they all do get up to around 100%. I don't think anything functions well when the cores under that much strain. I haven't noticed the RAM being maxed out. But I do notice that VW is very snappy upon first starting up, but as you render and render it gets slower and slower with renders. I end up logging out and logging back in to clear the RAM Cache.

There has been chat in the past about things getting clogged after a bit of use, in fact i notice it still. Needs the reboot fix(but as you see, old kit). Nevertheless, Esc or Cmd+period, Ctrl+period really ought to stop everything in it's tracks whatever software is being used and as far back as i can remember, i don't think VW ever has obeyed. Could be wrong, but . . . .