Can't insert resource because "it's not 2D"?

I am working in Vwx 2009 for Mac. I haven't used the program in a while, so I'm not sure what happened... but, now, I can't insert any resources onto my drawing. I think I'm doing the steps correctly:

1) I am selecting "Inst Insertion Tool" or "Accessory Insertion Tool"

2) The, I go to the resource browser, right click on what I want, and select "make active" from the menu

3) Then, I go to my drawing double click onto the point on my drawing where I want to insert the instrument

HOWEVER, I keep getting an error message, in red, at the lower, right portion of my drawing window, saying, "the object you selected is not a 2D object"

Did I put my program in a certain setting (unbeknownst to me) that is prohibiting me? I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Activate the regular symbol insertion tool.

In the mode bar check the symbol insertion options.

The first icon should be active, Standard Insertion Mode and the last icon should be selected, Align Actual Insertion Point Mode.

You may have changed them at some point or used the "U" key to change modes accidentally.

Instrument and accessory insertion tools in 2009 and earlier use the same setting as the symbol insertion tool, 2010 and later have their own settings so it's not a problem in the newer versions.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

MJ,

Those are the options for the 2D Selection Tool. You need to activate the Symbol Insertion tool. See screen shot, it's from 2011 but 2009 should look similar.

The U,I,O,P are shortcut keys to change the modes in the mode bar.

Edited by klinzey