PLotting

I cannot find anywhere where it discusses the link between colors and linewidths when plotting

It seems like darker color (ie Dark Blue) when printed in Black will appear darker.

Is there a way to set up how think or dark something will print in reference to colors, or to make it so they do not differ, so that you can control it on the linewidth level?

Thank you

The best way I've found to do this is trial & error. I ran a sheet with a lot of different line weights, colors, grays, patterns, etc. and then compared the results to what I saw on my monitor. Here's a couple tips: if you want natural, even looking gray scales make sure that your dithering (in the pull-down in the page setup dialog) is set to "scatter". Test lots of weird colors as some of them may pleasantly surprise you. Also, be sure to take your test sheet to be copied the same way you copy your finished drawings. We no longer use bluelines because we were losing too much control over the copies, too much variation. We now use "blackline" (actually a photo copy process) which gives fairly consistent results. PLC Mac/HP

when we plot in our office we use the preferences and convert to black and white only. we have a vectorscript for this so it's quite easy.

only problem is that if you have any greyscale fills on your drawing you lose them.

changing to black and white through the preferences i find works great when plotting to any device through HP_GL2. printing with greyscales through a raster and postscript that takes a few more steps in my experience.

alistair