2009 files converted to 2010 crash freeze

I have been having this problem a lot and it makes me hesitant to use 2010. When working on a 2010 file and I wish to import information from a older 2009 file, the program will freeze crash etc. while opening the 2009 file and converting it. Seems to work on the file for a while then when the progress bar gets about 1/2 way "updating plug in objects" I get a spinning ball forever and have to force quit the program loosing any changes I have done on the 2010 file I was working on. I use callouts a lot and I also noticed that if the conversion is successful the callout legend gets messed up adding every callout from all the sheets. The way I work around this is to do my 2009 conversion with out the 2010 file I want to import the info into open, then open it get do the cut & paste, save it immediately, and close the converted 2009 file. Converted 2009 files still have messed up callout legend. Seems worse with multiple files open at the same time. (memory problem?) Both 2009 & 2010 have the current updates. I am on a Mac os 10.5.8 3gb ram thanks

Something to consider ... prior to file conversions.

Run basic OSX maintenance including Permissions check...

then use Font Book to confirm that you don't have any duplicate Fonts lurking around to confuse VW.

Finally, always import older data into a new-fresh empty 2010 file , then WGR or copy&paste into your 2010 working file(s).

Thanks for the input. I did run the install disk, verify & repair permissions. I just check the fonts with fontbook app. I had double "digital strip" fonts which I use for my main font, but had one set unchecked. I went ahead and deleted one set. We shall see what happens.

I guess the main thing to take away is to import 2009 files (or any file for that matter) into empty clean 2010 files and save them without your 2010 destination file being open. Then cut & paste and save and close unnecessary files. Maybe running 2009 & 2010 at the same time is not a good idea either.

i still wonder about the callout legend getting messed up with old 2009 files converted to 2010 files.