Mac vs Windows mouse

Anyone notice this .... If I use bootcamp to operate VW2010 on Windows XP on a new 27" iMac, then I am able to push down on the scroll wheel of my older Apple mighty mouse and turn VW into the pan function. This is very handy since it allows the scroll wheel to serve both for zooming and panning. However, with the same equipment, if I try VW on the MAC partition, then the scroll wheel can not be used to activate the pan tool. I've tried to program a five button microsoft intellimouse but it doesn't really work the same, since pushing the wheel down can activate the pan tool, but you still have to click something else to pan around.

Any suggestions ?

(PS: so far, I do not like the new magic mouse for VW ... are there tricks to make it better ?)

your response gave me encouragement. I struggled with this (off and on) for a couple hours. Next thing i know, the mighty mouse works the way I wanted it to, on the Mac side. I have no idea what I did. I suspect changes I made before didn't take affect without a restart ... otherwise .... there is no explanation. Typical computer glitch ..... at least in the old days, I could tell when my pencil was broken ....