updating layer links?

I have some non-drawing layers, i.e., I haven't drawn anything on them, that I use to assemble layer link views for elevations and perspectives.

When I make changes to the drawing and then go to those layers I see the old version. However if I save, close the drawing and reopen it, the layer links present the new changes I have recently made.

IS there some kind of command, toggle, or update control that will updates these layer linked views without closing the drawing? It might be analogous to the "calculation" command in Microsoft Excel when you have automatic calculation turned off.

Or maybe there is some preference I should have turned on or off.

Thanks,

Brian

Version 9.5.3 on mac G4 running system 10.4.11

Layers Links (which as you probably know are "older" technology) are frozen moments in time. They are not "live" and cannot be updated. You can, however, recreate the Link and it will display the model as it currently exists.

In later (current) versions we have a much better way to view thew model, it's called "Unified View" (was "Stacked Layers" in a couple earlier versions).

PS: It seems strange (to me) that closing and re-opening the file updates LL's. If I remember correctly, it shouldn't. So I guess you might consider that a lucky accident!

Edited by CipesDesign

CD,

so I tried again, made some more changes, closed the file and then opened it (without quiting VW). Same deal the changes are apparently polled by the layer link on opening. So it knows how to go to those layers and see whats there to create the view and closing and opening the file is a reliable way to make it happen.

I'm going to concede that I use VW episodically. Because I build the stuff I design, so I get something worked up and then don't go back for 6 or 9 months. But I don't seem to recall having this trouble before, so I think I must have found someway to make it update.

At first I was wondering if I would have to empty the layer and then remake all the layer links each time. I guess that would work but seems cumbersome.

Sounds like this has been solved in the stacked layer or unified view approaches but I'm pretty sure there actually is a solution lost in the translation somewhere for my version.

Speaking of solutions, did they ever solve dimensioning in perspective view?

I won't be able to afford the newer versions, so its doubtful I'll ever get beyond my workaround (carefully setting my perspective dimensioning layer to a different scale than the rest of drawing.)

thanks,

brian

Brian, we all hope that VW's 2011 will include 3d dimensioning. But at this point no one really knows (OK maybe the engineers do, but they are very very good at keeping secrets). This wish seems a very high priority to the user base, but we won't know whether it exists in an upcoming version until NNA tells us so ;-)

Glad your method seems to be working. I'll bet someone could write a script to do it without closing and reopening the file...

Peter, actually LLs have always updated automatically ? for me at least ever since I started using them back in the day. Yes they were "live." And today, too, as I'm still trying to adapt all my LL tricks to the new Unified View approach.

The problem he's facing could be caused by many other issues, including system memory, graphic screen refresh, etc.