Wall / Layer Managment

I have a 12' wall on a layer called 'First Floor', when I switch to my 'Second Floor' layer, I cant see it. I can see it if I have the Gray or Show others option selected, but then I also see every other wall on my first floor layer...

How do I get around this? I need to see it, as naturally, the 2nd floor cut plane still captures that 12' wall from below...

Do you need to see the wall as if it is cut or just a top view of it?

The normal convention for plans is to think of them conceptually as being a horizontal section through the building 4' above floor level. So in your case assuming a floor to floor distance of 8' 9" the height of the wall above the second floor plane would only be 3' 3". That is 9" below the theoretical horizontal section plane. Therefore to draw the wall correctly all you need is a polygon outline of the wall. To draw this set your first floor plan layer to Grey and trace over the wall you need to see. Then set the first floor plan layer back to invisible.

If you really do need to see the wall cut then you will need to draw walls on both floor plans:

- Go back to your first floor plan and reduce the height of the 12' high wall to the first floor delta Z (ie. floor to floor height). Copy it.

- Switch to your second floor plan and Use Paste in Place to insert the wall in the same plan location. Reduce its height to 12' minus the first floor delta Z.

- Remove any doors, window or openings that were inserted in the first floor wall.

Where it gets tricky is when you have first floor windows that extend upwards beyond the second floor level. Do you have that situation?

Thanks for your response/interest!

I guess I need to see the wall just in top view... you bring a good point about the floor to floor distance, Ive just been assuming my 2nd FF elevation at 9', but that still puts that 12' wall below the standard cut plane...

What you described is exactly how Ive been getting around it, I have one wall on my first floor layer set to a height of 9', then a wall on my second floor layer, set to a height of 3' stacked on top of the 9' wall... I do not have a window that extends upwards beyond the second floor level, but what if I did? How would you handle that situation?

In-lieu-of drawing a 2D polygon on my 2nd floor layer, does the stacking wall situaion have any drawbacks to it? Asside from the obvious joint line visible between the two walls... and how would you get rid of that joint so that the two stacked walls read as one continuous wall without the break, in 2D elevation and in renderings...

Thank you so much for your help!

If the wall is below the theoretical floor cut plane to get the correct plan view you will need to make a Wall Style that makes that wall show as a part height wall. ie. you won't want to see the components.

As long as the walls are aligned correctly the horizontal join will not show in Hidden Line and general rendered views.

If you have windows extending upwards you need to model them in the lower wall and then create a notch in the bottom of the upper wall. The best way to create notches is to draw a polygon in the appropriate 3D elevation view, extrude it and then use Fit Wall to Roof command in bottom mode.