User defined object origin

Benson Shaw

Question

I often wish to have an object, esp groups and symbols, paste to some origin other than the object's geo/bounding center. Requested behavior is same as user defined symbol insertion point. In current VW symbols paste to geo/bounding center, not the user defined insertion point.

My goal would be to lock this custom origin, so that even if the object geometry is edited, the paste command would still engage (?) at that user defined origin. User could redefine or remove this custom object origin, which would affect only the selected instance and future copies, not past instances.

Have to be careful with redefine of symbol origin, though. All existing instances would shift location when new origin is redefined via edit of symbol definition.

-B

10 answers to this question

This is not exactly what you want, but if you click in the drawing before a paste operation (not Paste In Place) the object(s) on the clipboard will paste at that new location, but the BBox center will be the relative insertion point. You may have to move it a little after pasting, but at least it won't paste across the drawing somewhere.

Another feature you can use is the Symbol Pickup Mode, third mode of the 2D Symbol Insertion tool. Select the Eyedropper Mode, click on a symbol and now that symbol is the active symbol. You are automatically returned to the Place Symbol Mode or Wall Insertion Mode, whichever was the mode you were in previously.

Use of the U key to toggle this mode is clunky as it always returns you to the Wall Insertion (WI) mode. Since you have to toggle through the WI mode to get to the Pickup mode the WI then becomes the last mode you were in. This interface still needs some work, but if you click instead of toggle the mode buttons, it will save you from having to search through a long list of symbols in the Resource Browser if the symbol you want is sitting right in front of you in the drawing.

Oddly, this mode is missing from the 3D Symbol Insertion tool. I haven't tried using the 2D Symbol Insertion tool (in Pickup mode) on 3D Symbols. It may work, so you might want to try it, but it suspect it won't snap to XY & Z. Still, it's worth a try.

Raymond

Has anything NEW on this "User Defined 3D Insertion Point" front "Magically" appeared in the latest iteration of everyones favourite "Nightmare" CAD Tool scenario? :)

i've bitten the bullet and jumped into working under the auspices of Lion installed on an SSD and i have to say, that when i can get passed the times it won't boot, hangs or freezes and wrestles with the Wacom Tablet drivers . . . . . . i now have an acceptably FAST workstation and despite all the usual problems VW throws back at me since first discovered, even VW has become almost a pleasure to work with(allowing for the usual few choice comments).

:)

That is if i ignore all the hangups i've had with it for years!

Insertion points anyone?

More musing on this topic:

I wonder if a hot key could be put in play here to set a temporary insertion/origin point. This would avoid the problems with changes to symbol origins.

EG to place several copies of an object at different locations:

1. iClick on the intended temporary insertion point to select a symbol, group or any object.

2. Cut or Copy

3. Click on the destination location.

4. Paste - the clipboard object appears with temp "origin" snapped to location.

5. Repeat 3 & 4 as needed at new locations.

A new Multi Move mode in the Move by Points tool could also work:

1. Invoke the tool in multi mode. The tool options auto set for 1 copy, retain original.

2. CmdClick to to select an object and establish its temporary origin.

3. Click as many destinations as desired - a copy snaps to origin at each click.

4. CmdClick to select new object and/or new origin point to start a new series of copies.

That is if i ignore all the hangups i've had with it for years!

I sometimes think of it as VEXtorworks

-B

Great suggestions Benson. i REALLY like the idea of a "Toggle/Temp Alternative Insertion Point Gesture" that could become part of a secondary option for Copy&Paste.

Great idea "B"!! And in the RB Menu could have a "Temp IP" Command added with an Option to Keep it for that drawing or revert after placing, if you are Importing the Symbol from another File.

Keep 'em coming Benson.

Hhhhmmmm! VEXtorworks???

:)

Andrew

On a similar vein, but a slightly different approach:

Be able to attach a Locus of sorts, that the user can define. This "specialized locus" can be used for insertion, alignment, distribution, etc., and should appear in associated dialogue boxes. Also, it would be great if a worksheet could pull the X, Y and Z information for this locus for each object.

Extra-super bonus points if this "specialized locus" is a ray (with a defined "starting point", but also a direction). The x-rotation, y-rotation and z-rotation of the direction of the ray would prove useful in aligning any object's rotation with any other object's rotation.

Just a thought ....

Nice ideas Teresa i could really use the added options, but i think we need to ask NAG to do small steps. :confused:

Practical may still be a long way off, but if you don't ask . . . . you won't get, so it never hurts to dream. :)

i'm still dreaming of the Extrude Tools all actually working and being able to subtract from them without a hitch . . . . . . :confused:

Good idea, Teresa - How many times have I wanted 3d location info about a group? (LOTS of times) If this new vector locus object stays with the group until deleted, it would add OIP values for xyz, and rotation to the group. Sort of a quasi symbol, without making it into a resource.

Andi - I know! Prime directive: Make the existing stuff work better. But I guess fulfillment of any wish is diluted by potential for development of any other wish, so may as well list them all and see what strikes the fancy of the developers.

-B

Andi - I know! Prime directive: Make the existing stuff work better. But I guess fulfillment of any wish is diluted by potential for development of any other wish, so may as well list them all and see what strikes the fancy of the developers.

-B

Unfortunately -B . . . . .

Toooo right matey!

:grin: