Lighting Positions Disappearing

DT1965

I'm having a problem with my lighting positions disappearing when I try to create a 3d representation of the symbol. I'm currently converting lines into 3d polys, and as soon as I execute the command, the symbol vanishes. I've done this after adding instruments to a 2d symbol, and I've ended up with a bunch of instruments floating in space, with no ability to add lights to the pipe, or edit it in any way that I can find. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The problem is that you are converting the original line to 3D.

You need both 2D and 3D geometry to create a lighting position.

One way is to draw the line, duplicate it, convert the duplicate to a 3D object (by extruding along path, changing to a nurbs curve, or a 3D poly), then select both the 2D and 3D object, group them, and convert to lighting position.

You can also just edit the current positions and add the 2D or 3D part (whichever is missing)

hth

michaelk

Thanks, Micheal!

A couple more questions....

When I go to edit the position, any pipes I can see and click on in the Top View come up with a "object not editable" dialogue, and if I go thru the resource browser to edit the symbol, there's nothing in the editor that I can find. Am I trying to edit these positions in the wrong way? And, if I've completely screwed up, is there a way to delete the symbol and reinsert it properly without deleting all of the lights that are already set up?

Thanks again for the help!

Darren

Darren

Correct. Once you convert to a light position it becomes a Plug In Object and you need to edit the symbol from the Resource Browser. It will be under Symbols/Plug In-Objects named the same as your position name with "-sym" after it. (Assuming you use the above method to create the position.) Right click on it in the RB and you can choose to edit the 2D part or the 3D part.

It may be helpful to know that any 2D objects you create in the 3D part will find their way home when you exit the symbol. Same with 3D objects in the 2D part. So, for example, if you are missing the 3D part you can right click on the symbol in the resource browser, choose Edit, choose 2D, duplicate the line, turn that line into 3D and exit the symbol. You didn't say what version of VW you have. If you have 2010, just be careful about putting 2D object Layer Plane mode in the 3D part.

If you want to nuke the position and start over you just need to delete the symbol in the drawing and then delete the symbol from the resource browser. (If you delete the symbol from the resource browser first, the position geometry will go away and leave behind the position name - which you still need to delete - but may be harder to find). Once it is deleted you can try again and use the same name. The instruments will be unaffected and (depending on what version you are using) will attach themselves to the newly created position.

hth

michaelk