Architectural 3D - Best practice, typical practice??

CKub

Hello,

I'm interested to get some feedback on how VW Architect users are modeling buildings.

I'm a new user, and am currently trying to decide on a good working method, roughly described in the following scenarios:

1. Building gets modeled completely (as practicable) in 3D, structural steel and connections, roof sheeting profiles, purlins, door handles, blah blah. This takes time, looks fancy, and I don't know how it performs once you get to documentation stage, because I have not progressed that far in VW yet.

2. Building gets key structural features modeled, with net volumes done in 3D (by net volume I mean if a Klip-lok roofing profile has a total height of 45 mm, then a roof plane with a 45 mm thickness is drawn to represent this). Profiles etc. are then drawn as annotations in detail views.

In particular to steel (e.g. a portal frame building:

Is it typical/standard to extrude a steel section and model structural steel in 3D in VW? What about connections?

Any comments, anecdotes or opinions gratefully accepted.

Go for your second options, then works towards the first once you get more into the 3D drawing and you feel it's needed.

I started with walls and windows, then added roofs and then other things and so on and on. If you start with one kind of object, you'll notice what you need more and how you need to do it for the result you want. There are so many kind of ways of getting what you want, so just try some things out and adapt your workflow to get the one that's best for you.

At the moment, I'm so advanced in the whole hybrid thing, that I do not do only 2D anymore; all my elevation comes from my 3D model. In the beginning you'll have to add annotations to finish them, but once you get into it, you'll have them right away.

Also another important note: Let all tools work for you. I mean that you can use tools that initially doesn't do what you want. Start with picturing what you want, then try to get that with the existing tools in VW. If they don't deliver what you want, then look if you can adapt the expecting result to something that the tools can do and that still clear and acceptable. It's all about how understandable your drawings are, so don't be afraid to adapt your presenation standards.

Edited by DWorks

Any comments, anecdotes or opinions gratefully accepted.

Most importantly: advice is never worth more than the money you pay for it.

You should state your problem first: whether you are interested in / focused on visualisation, BIM (including costs) or details. Maybe even the actual functionality of the building?

What are your clients and projects like? What's your selling point? Etc.