2008 VW Spotlight Batten problems

Ok, so I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I have been working on VectorWorks recently (have had it for a week) and I can't seem to change the height of a lighting batten. I have been following along with this tutorial, but adapting things so it looks like my stage, and not his pretend stage. So far, I haven't run into any problems until this.

I have the rest of the stage drawn with all the walls and curtains, and stuff, and then the tutorial says that to make a batten, a good way is to use the double line tool, and so I did. Then I made it into a symbol, and then used the "Lighting Position Object" tool to place it on stage, converted it into a Light Position, and then I used the "Inst. Insertion" tool to place a Source Four on it, but I cannot change the Z coordinate of either the Source Four, or the batten. They are both stuck at Z=0, but in the tutorial, he easily changes the Z coordinate of the light.

What did I do wrong?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Taylor,

You probably do not have a 3D component to your lighting position.

When you greate your lighting position you need to have a 2D and a 3D element, group them, and then convert to a lighting position.

You can modify your existing lighting poitions by editing the 3D component of the symbol in the resource browser and adding a simple extruded line or rectangle.