Label Legends not updating

Mike Hessler

Hi there. I'm new.

I have an issue with the label legend manager in that once you mess with the positions of the containers on the Design Layer, they no longer respond to global changes with the Label Legend Manager. Is there any way to reset the locations of the containers without deleting and re-creating the instrument?

I am also using the same label legend for different instrument symbols. Sometimes it works brilliantly, eg: a container placed at the cap end of a regular Source 4 body in the LL manager intuitively places itself at the same place relative to the cap on a 5 degree Source 4 on the design layer despite the fact that it is a much larger symbol. Try to do the same with a Parcan and nothing seems to line up.

Any insight on either of these things?

Thanks in advance,

MH

Mike

1. Yes. Select the instruments you want to "reset" to the Label Legend Manager positions. Modify>Assign Legend to Inst> select the LLM. All the data and containers will snap back to the LLM default position.

2. I could be talking through my hat - so take the following with a big grain of salt - but this is my understanding of how the LLM places data.

Data fields inside the 2D geometry of the instrument symbol are placed relative to the insertion point or center (not sure which) of the instrument...

Data fields outside the 2D geometry of the instrument symbol are placed relative to the edges (bounding box?) of the 2D geometry. ie, the same distance from the edge of the geometry.

Hard to tell exactly what is going on w/o a screen shot or a vwx file.

But, if you have customized any of your symbols it might be possible that you have some geometry outside what you expect the symbol geometry to be.

Or... If you are talking about S4Pars and not PAR64s, I wonder if VW is counting the text from the unit number as part of the interior geometry and that is causing the unexpected offset.

One sure way to fix it is to create a separate LLM for PARs.

hth

michaelk

Ok, that makes some sense. I have been trying to update them by toggling LLM's in the attribute pop up window with bad results. This works much better. I'll confirm when I get back to plotting later today.

More LLM questions - is there a way to duplicate existing ones? How about a way to change the symbol once one has been created and labeled?

Thanks,

MH

To duplicate a LLM: In the Resource Browser, look under Symbol Folders. There will be a folder of Label Legends. Right click on a LL and choose duplicate.

To replace symbol: Right click on a LL in the Resource Browser. Choose Edit. Choose 2D Component. Select the symbol. In the OIP click Replace... Pick the symbol you want.

hth

michaelk