Layer mask

IanH

Question

I would like to have a layer mask.

The layer mask should only affect the one layer. This is vitally important yet subtle difference to simply masking out via a single layer that would affect *all* underlying layers, not just detail on the single layer. So if I place a mask (a transparent line or polygon say), it blocks out detail from the layer, but not from layers beneath.

Basically, I wish to have the ability to 'knock back' detail on a layer, but only in certain areas and only on the one layer.

6 answers to this question

I'm not after a cropped viewport. The mask will mask multiple areas of the underlying layer - so the mask needs to cover the whole underlying layer and not just a crop region.

For instance, I may have a number of paths or terraces each textured with some pattern such as stipple, hatch, hardscape, I don't want the pattern to be across the whole area, just an indicative pattern in some areas of the plan.

So I want to mask some of the patterns out, either fully, or partially with a semi transparent mask. Having the ability to place a hatch for example in a mask that would give the effect of rubbing the underlying part of the layer out with a scalpel would give the perfect graphic effect.

At the moment, this is not possible without the layer being the bottom of the stack which cannot be done for other reasons.

Edited by IanH