Truss Questions

So right now, the biggest problem I have is in creating truss structures. Let's say I want to create a basic square shape that is 3.5m. I need four 3m sections and 4 90 degree corner pieces. The issue I have is that right now to do this, I have to overlap the straight pieces on top of eachoter in 2D to make it look like a square. Is there a existing library or other method everyone uses to incorporate corner pieces/cubes/other connectors in their designs?? Im also curious if this applies to 3d work as that would be even better if the symbols were both 2d and 3d.

I'm not so worried about EXACT pieces of truss (global/thomas ect) - i just need a simplified resource of concept plots ect.

I've seen plenty of renderings/plots with corner blocks and everything else so i'm sure their out there or people have created their own. Any help would be great...

Second question is probably a easy solved question but I'm self taught and still new. Is it possible to rotate X/Y of a piece of truss in a 3d view? I've only able to do it by changing the hanging angle in the past and this really seems like a bad way of doing things.

How does everyone else acomplis this?

thanks for any help!

d

In vectorworks 2009 if you have spotlight it comes with a lot of resources especially from James thomas. I prefer using symbols of actual pieces as opposed to the truss tool for some reasons you mentioned. I would go with that. If there is something specific you don't have that you are looking for let me know and if I have it I will share.

If you want to rotate a truss it is best when using symbols or not the truss tool because you can rotate it in 3d just like you rotate anything. If you do draw what you want with the truss tool and then look at it in a 3d view you can ungroup it and it will no longer be part of the plug in object You can then rotate it how ever you want.

Matt

Thomas truss is good (it's in our inventory) but i also use 300mm tri/box and some 400mm box - i think i've found a jt truss that does that too but does anybody have any other manufactures that work with spiggot connections? anything that is metric would be great as sometimes i'm not so good at old imperial... ugh.

Are their more complex symbol collections with 2/3 way straight/angled corners? I come from wyg and all this stuff is there. I've previously spoken to global truss about this but their response was that they have no interest in releasing 3d libraries of their products. oh well.

Thanks matt, i now have trusses with cubes ect and want to do a vertical section but can't seem to rotate the symbol on the right plane. how can i do this?

Unrelated to this thread but i've seen a chain hoist tool. Does anyone actually use this tool? I dont really ever put motors on the plot, just point/node markers - what is the general consensus on this?

Edited by doday

Global Truss has 3d DXF on their site for different products.

We have some of this. There is a dxf under the pic

http://www.globaltruss.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=118&category=3&subcat=9

If you tell me what specific model you are looking for, manufacturer and product I may have it.

I am attaching a example of a truss symbol rotated and a super easy explination on how to do it.

I actually use the Chain hoist tool and I find it pretty helpfull. There are definetly some flaws about it, but Sam has been very helpful if you bring them up to him about fixing them. Top notch customer service. It is a little confusing at first, but it starts to make sense when you use it.

Matt

Edited by MattG