Editing 3D Models

Greetings,

I am still learning the methods to generate 3D Models and then create viewports to generate the 2D views and isometric views. I think I get the basics of that process.

However, things get awkward when you create a 3D model by adding and subtracting solids and later need to modify that 3D model.

For instance, I create a plate of some thickness, add some countersunk holes, add some threaded holes, and/or add some appendages to the plate. Later I need to change the size or position of one or more holes in the model.

How do I break the model up or at least edit the holes of interest after I have gone and Added and Subtracted Solids to create a single part?

The only way I know how to do that is repeatedly ungroup the solid until the object(s) of interest is disassociated from the model, make the changes, then rebuild the model all over again.

Is there a better way?

You can step back into the history of the part you have created. Instead of Ungrouping choose Edit Group.

From the Online Help:

Editing a Group

Use the Modify > Edit Group command to edit individual objects in a group without ungrouping them. This command also edits a group of objects that is nested inside another group; each time the command is selected, Vectorworks moves one level deeper into the group. See Object Editing Mode for details.

You can step back into the history of the part you have created. Instead of Ungrouping choose Edit Group.

From the Online Help:

Editing a Group

Use the Modify > Edit Group command to edit individual objects in a group without ungrouping them. This command also edits a group of objects that is nested inside another group; each time the command is selected, Vectorworks moves one level deeper into the group. See Object Editing Mode for details.

Okay. So when I take a number of 3D objects and perform Model > Add Solids, Model > Subtract Solids, Model > Intersect Solids, etc., the end resulting model is considered a group?

It seems to work as advertised. Much better way to work. :grin:

Edited by Loren42