How do I change the shape of a roof?

For a shed roof, you can use a Roof Object. Select the exterior walls, polygon, or lines that represent the perimeter of the building that you'd like a roof on. Select Create Roof from the AEC menu. Set your thickness, slope, overhang, etc. and click OK. Now you'll have a hip roof and you'll see handles in the middle of each roof edge. You can click on each of the handles to change from eave to gable. The trick is to change them in the right order. First do left and right sides. Now you'll have a gable roof. Then click the handle on the top edge and change it to gable (not exactly intuitive, I know.) Tada! Shed roof.

Your other alternative, as Chad suggested, is to use a roof face. For this method, I draw a polygon with the shape of the roof I want (including overhangs.) Then I select Roof Face from the AEC menu and set my roof thickness, slope, etc. and click OK. Then I'm asked to define the roof axis. I usually set the axis at the back edge of the stud on the exterior wall - this is how it would be built (think birdsmouth.) Simply draw a line along the "hinge point" that you want for the roof and boom, shed roof.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

• 8 years later...
On 5/11/2009 at 1:42 PM, billtheia said:

For a shed roof, you can use a Roof Object. Select the exterior walls, polygon, or lines that represent the perimeter of the building that you'd like a roof on. Select Create Roof from the AEC menu. Set your thickness, slope, overhang, etc. and click OK. Now you'll have a hip roof and you'll see handles in the middle of each roof edge. You can click on each of the handles to change from eave to gable. The trick is to change them in the right order. First do left and right sides. Now you'll have a gable roof. Then click the handle on the top edge and change it to gable (not exactly intuitive, I know.) Tada! Shed roof.

Your other alternative, as Chad suggested, is to use a roof face. For this method, I draw a polygon with the shape of the roof I want (including overhangs.) Then I select Roof Face from the AEC menu and set my roof thickness, slope, etc. and click OK. Then I'm asked to define the roof axis. I usually set the axis at the back edge of the stud on the exterior wall - this is how it would be built (think birdsmouth.) Simply draw a line along the "hinge point" that you want for the roof and boom, shed roof.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.