ifc import and export

we're having problems with importing and exporting an ifc document we received for a competition participation. we can import it but VW 2008 won't show the bim model in the proper way as you could see it with an ifc viewer.

the same with exporting. we can export the project but there are so many parts missing like the extruded solids. help please, we're desperate!

VWA 2008+RW on Mac OS Leopard and Tiger - Intel, started on Minicad 3

Jeffrey,

It is for the Statsbygg competition indeed. We downloaded the Solibri Viewer which shows the bim the proper way but with v2008 we can't import or export properly. the

problem is that time is running out but we're discussing with our suppliers the possibilty of getting v2009. is there another way to import the document and getting a good result by using a 3rd party viewer/importer/exporter and v2008?

thanks,

PS: muntins are mullions, and I haven't forgotten about sending you a EU/USA list of localised components names...

By word of our Norwegian distributor, it appears that there is supposed to be an update of the digital files (ifc and dwg). I will keep you posted. In the mean time, let me see if I can get you a 2008 version of what we were able to import, to get you started.

FYI:

The site did not come through the IFC translation (v2009), but did in the DWG import.

The space objects did come through in the IFC translation (v2009).

Great Jeffrey, you're a saint! btw, we were able to open up a rather garbled .dwg on 2008, but all we got as .ifc was just some extruded squares. We also tried opening both .dwg and .ifc up on a demo disk we have for 2009, and we got the same info. Most importantly, and worringly, any 3D model of our scheme exports to a virtually blank file when we try to open it with the solibri viewer

Thanks

m.

Right now, failure at import of the IfcSite object is a known issue. I'm looking for a workaround.

The "extruded squares" should be Space PIOs (please note that the Name and Number appear swapped - another known issue). The purpose is to give entrants an idea of area sizes for each programmatic element. They are not arranged in any particular sequence/order/spatial config.

The DWG file is not as comprehensive or as clean as I had hoped. In fact, it seems to be fairly poorly encoded. Usually, a site dwg will contain 3D polylines for contours, buildgin and roads. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with the contours in the supplied file. It may be best to use it strictly as a reference and build a VW DTM over the top.

The competition promoters updated the .ifc file to some extent because we were able to import the buildings; the site still does not come out at all, apart from some random 3D lines. they also posted a .pdf of what is normally visible on the solibri viewer. this having to post an ifc for the competition is proving to be quite hard and adding a new layer of complications... We really appreciate any additional help that you guys at NM can give us in trying to unravel this