auto-classing overide

TimG

hey everyone... new VW user, our office (architectural firm) bought a seat and I am in charge of completing the first project in it...

I am currently stuck on the following...

here's my delema...

I set up my file to have auto-classing in the naming standards... I have drawn the existing, and now want to place some things on the demo class... I can not place certain window objects on the demo class unless I uncheck the auto-classing option...

I would like things to still be auto-classed...just not a couple of these window objects... is there some sort of overide to get certain windows on the demo-class?... any help is appreciated... I tried doing a search to no avail, hopefully I put this in the right forum.

thanks,

Tim

Turn off autoclassing.

Move the objects to the demo class.

Turn autoclassing back on.

Don't class existing objects.

---

alternatively, don't use pio's for demoed windows unless you are creating existing elevations.

a regular symbol can cut the wall, will not appear in schedules, and does not conflict with the auto classing.

You can also make a symbol out of the PIO, turn off autoclassing, move the PIO to the demo class,exit the symbol, turn autoclassing back on....and autoclass existing will not affect the PIO in the symbol.

If autoclassing is on,then the PIO will be autoclassed if you try to move it during symbol editing.

Another case where Islandmon's philosophy of putting everything in symbols makes workflow more flexible.

I consider auto-classing a learning tool for users not familiar with VW's class concept. In time, just as one thinks of what layer an entity belongs, you will automatically include classes in this thought process. Time wise, the current class can be changed as quickly as turning on and off the auto-class option.

I ran into this problem too. Instead of using auto-classing, I now set the default class directly in the plug-ins. Open the Vectorscript Plug-In Editor, find the plug-in you want (door, window, etc.,) click on the Properties button, and insert the desired class name in the Default Class field.

I really wish that auto-classing was a bit more flexible and easier to modify. It seems like it would be easier to set office-wide standards using a tool like auto-classing rather than having to set default classes in PIOs on multiple machines - not to mention every time you upgrade VW.