Easy Answer - Draw Beam/Z height

Hello,

I feel I've solved this problem before...but my brain can't seem to remember.

So, I have a light plot with hanging positions created out of 2D polygons. (not extruded!)

I insert my lighting instrument, focused it....and then gave a Z coordinate for height. But every time I add that Z coordinate, it reverts back to 0". But when I draw the beam, it does give me a beam/field spread. I change the Z coordinate, and it draws me the same beam as before.

The question here, why?

Trying to work this out, I created a 3D lighting position, but under TOP/PLAN view it disappears and only leave the summary as text. Weird.

I would rather leave my lighting plot as 2D, since that is what it is.....

Any answers?

Thanks ahead.

APP

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can't set the Z height of your instrument because the symbol is probably 2D only. You need to have a 3D component in order to set the Z height.

The Lighting position only shows the text in 2D because the 2D text automatically supresses the 3D. Here again you need a 2D and a 3D object if you want to deal with position heights.

You can't set the Z height of your instrument because the symbol is probably 2D only. You need to have a 3D component in order to set the Z height.

The Lighting position only shows the text in 2D because the 2D text automatically supresses the 3D. Here again you need a 2D and a 3D object if you want to deal with position heights.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, my instrument symbol is a ETC Source Four 2D/3D symbol. My lighting pipe is not a 3D symbol.

I just figured out that I can insert my instrument, not have it connected to my 2D pipe, and be able to draw an accurate beam spread.

What's my next step here? Do I need to draw my lighting pipe in 3D before changing it to a lighting position?

Thanks,

APP