Any way to copy/past a whole drawing preserving the layer/class structure?

VW2009 seems to have a problem updating old files, resulting in printing problems with my Epson 3800 printer (see the topic in Printing). I doubt anyone will look into this since it seems to only occur at the cross section of: a larger than A size sheet, a file created in an older version of VW, and an Epson printer. I discovered that if I copy and paste the same data into a fresh file, the print problems seem to go away. However a simple copy/paste results in everything copied ending up on the same layer. That means to recreate the drawing requires a copy/paste of each layer, a very tedious process in drawings with a large number of layers.

Is there a way to copy and paste an entire drawing to preserve the layer structure?

More:

I can import the layers a few at a time without crashing, however there seems to be multiple bugs in the process. The "Import Objects" checkbox for example sometimes greys for no reason, reselecting the layers several times will fix it. Then some layers import with no objects on them at all. Trying to set up the same view I wanted to print ends up crashing during a resection of visible layers in the viewport. This view was previously done with layer links, of course those are now gone. I cannot import those layers with links, not legal.

So far, not much luck with this 2009 upgrade....

Tried deleting, then individually re-importing the layers that imported empty. No dice, nothing comes in on those layers. On layers that import blank, I can "select all" then paste in place, works OK. Why won't it import? How do I know that it imported all the objects on other layers, if it can pick and choose?

Edit: of the 40 or so layers, 16 imported empty and do so on repeated attempts. I cannot see any difference between ones that import correctly (I assume...) and ones that are empty. I can "select all" on a layer that will not import, and "paste in place" with no problems.

Edited by jfitch

It seems to depend on the layer. I have not been able to determine any common feature among the 16 layers that did not import, that are not shared by layers that did. Some of them are not at all complicated. All of them were cut/pasted into the blank layer the import created (which at least gives you the name, Z offset, etc.) after a select all. I am going to have to assume that those layers that did import, did so without error - that is a very difficult thing to check.

The newly created file, with imported and pasted layers, does print. I had to recreate the view using viewports since layer links are no longer supported. (Recreating the view in the old file using viewports did not correct the printing problem.)

Edited by jfitch